Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(PIOG) To move her....or not to move her! Switching schools???

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM
  • 3 Replies

My dd is finishing up her last few days of Kindergarten. We got a letter in the mail a while back stating that her elementary school has not met the state standards (not sure what exactly the standards are based on, but I'm sure one of them is standardized testing) for three consecutive years. They were put on a 'schools in need of improvement' list, and under the No Child Left Behind law, the county we live in is required to offer her the opportunity to transfer to a better performing school. They are also required to provide transportation to and from school every day. We live in a very rural area, with the nearest school, other than hers, being about 15 miles away. I was interested to see what options they were offering. We got a second letter in the mail with our two possible schools. They are both about a 30 mile drive, but are GREAT schools! They are on the way to DH's work, so he could drop her off, but she would have to ride the bus home. I called the county office to ask them a few questions, one of them being the bus route. She told me that although her drop off spot would probably not be as close to our home as it would be if she were going to her zoned school, it would be a reasonable spot. But that her ride could be up to 1.5 hrs every day. 

I'm so torn about what to do. The school she is going to now is the school that I went to growing up, the one MY dad went to, also. I love the idea of my children going there, too. But it is SO much different than when I was a kid. And I have been so frustrated with a lot of the things that go on there. There are some GREAT teachers, but there are a lot of things that I see going on that are not fair and that I don't agree with. And I feel like because of this, my child couldn't reach her full potential there. 

On the other hand, I LOVE being able to drop her off and pick her up every day. I hate that if she transferred, she would have to be on the bus for that long every single day. Although I would make an effort to do as much as I possibly could as far as classroom involvement, I probably could not do as much, because of the distance. Her school now is 3 miles from my home. I am able to help out ANYTIME they need it. Also, if she transfers, she will be able to remain there throughout her 5th grade year, even if her zoned school manages to get off of this list. However, once she transfers to middle school, she will be required to move back to her zoned school and not will able to move to the same school as all of her friends. She will have to start all over, making friends, which I know might be hard to do, as this would be the age when 'cliques' start forming. I wouldn't want her to feel out of place. 

But logically, I think I know that her going to the best performing school, where she could gain the most academically, is the BEST choice for her, right? Would you ladies move your children if you were in my situation?

Photobucket

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
August07Mom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I would definitely be moving her to the better school. 

melissabilliot
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM

yes...although it is a long bus ride it will be ok

mommymandaleigh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM

IMO I would not move her. Whatever it is that you feel she is not getting enough of academically I would work on it with her. If she is going to have to switch back in 5th anyways I would want her to stay with friends. Also you said you could be much more involved if she is closer and IMO that is the best way to make sure your child stays on track GL in whatever you choose momma !!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)