Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottles

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son is 27months and still has a bottle in the morning and at bedtime.  That is the only way I can get him to drink milk.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get him to stop using the bottle.  Please no bashing, I've tried everything. 

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

BUMP!

baebear
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

BUMP!

Sorry no help. Both my kids are and were breast fed

If you can`t dazzle them with brilliance...

then baffle them with bullshit

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I'd try just taking them away. Get rid of them, and show your child that there are no more bottles in the house. Offer him a sippy instead. My DD took really well to the NUK sippies, which only cost a buck at Wal Mart. I let her pick out her own colors, and told her they were big girl cups.

I'm Kairi AND Kaden's mama now!!

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Had the same problem..  My son was 2.5 when I made him trash the bottles and took him to Walmart to pick out a big boy cup.  He had plenty of sippies but refused to use them so I thought uhmm maybe if I let him pick out one it would be more exciting for him.  So all day long I emphasized how much of a big boy he was for throwing away the baby bottles and graduating to a big boy cup.  Surprisingly he did great!  Ofcourse he asked for it a couple times but he got over it!  Yes, your ds may whine a little but he will get over it!

dannie0802
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

i agree just do it

Kat770
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM

no bashing here.  I might think it was a little weird if I saw it in public, but that's not my business.  if that's what works to get your kid to drink milk without chocolate or some other flavoring (that probably makes it as bad for you as milk is good for you), then that's fine, I think.

I've heard that those cheap Nuby sippies at Walmart are good for transitioning babies/kids from bottles to sippies.  The top is silicone and soft and works similiarly to a bottle.

imthatgirl728
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

throw then away. He can't use what he doesn't have.

nellbug
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:33 PM

This is what I use for my 23mo old.  He does great with them  He uses the hard plastic sippy cups for juice and water.

Quoting Kat770:

I've heard that those cheap Nuby sippies at Walmart are good for transitioning babies/kids from bottles to sippies.  The top is silicone and soft and works similiarly to a bottle.

kaidensmommy09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I agree with this. We took my DS away as soon as he turned one.. the longer you wait the more attached they become.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Had the same problem..  My son was 2.5 when I made him trash the bottles and took him to Walmart to pick out a big boy cup.  He had plenty of sippies but refused to use them so I thought uhmm maybe if I let him pick out one it would be more exciting for him.  So all day long I emphasized how much of a big boy he was for throwing away the baby bottles and graduating to a big boy cup.  Surprisingly he did great!  Ofcourse he asked for it a couple times but he got over it!  Yes, your ds may whine a little but he will get over it!

dcdmattison03
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

when I stopped the bottle I just took it away one day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)