Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids playing outside alone - *Spinoff*

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM
  • 37 Replies

I was reading the post about the mom asking if we'd leave our almost 2 year old outside in a fenced in back yard alone. 

That got me thinking. 

I don't even let my 6 1/2 year old outside alone. Am I being overprotective? We don't have a fenced in back yard, but we live in the country and the houses are far apart from each other. The closest neighbors are an elderly couple, and no traffic comes down the road unless you're one of the 5 people who live further down than us.

This is the last week of school, and I KNOW she's going to want to go out more. I get VERY nauseous and vomit pretty easily (sorry, TMI) when I'm too hot and summers in Florida are brutal, so I can't go out very much. I hate keeping her inside on my account.     

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chrystal_A
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Id let her go.Give her a watch and set the timer for 30 mins when it beeps she has to come in for a drink and to check in.Make sure she knows the rules about playing in roads or going in houses.

mommas3cubs
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I started letting my kids play outside in a fenced in backyard at 4. My kids are now, 12,9 and 7, and  Go down to the playground by themselves, matter of fact that is where they are right now.

JesusSaves07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM

My kids are outside constantly.....and I try to be out there as much as I can but sometimes I have to run in quick and I make sure I look out the window at them and check.  My kids are 4 and 6 and 12.....

CMcLaws
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Oh I like the watch idea! Thanks - I will try that!! :-) It would be fun to take her to walmart to let her pick out one, ya think? 

Quoting Chrystal_A:

Id let her go.Give her a watch and set the timer for 30 mins when it beeps she has to come in for a drink and to check in.Make sure she knows the rules about playing in roads or going in houses.

mommyreid
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I live on a corner where there are 11 children, therefore I allow my 9 and 5 year olds to play outside, most of the time they are running in and out, so there is no need for check in.  We rely on the buddy system, they are NEVER without another child.  If you need some extra reassurance, buy her a whistle and make sure she knows how to blow it loudly, that way if she has an emergency, at least she'll have a way to let someone know where she is.

CMcLaws
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I wish I could see the play area easier. I can see about half of it from the living room, but have to go upstairs to get a full view of it.

Quoting JesusSaves07:

My kids are outside constantly.....and I try to be out there as much as I can but sometimes I have to run in quick and I make sure I look out the window at them and check.  My kids are 4 and 6 and 12.....

bolz08
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM

We have a tiny fenced back area and I let our 4yr play out back with out me watching full time but our townhouse isn't that big so I'm always pretty close.  I check on him abut every 15min.  He is so close that he can hear me from inside:)  Sometimes is little brother goes out with him.  They have to learn and so do I....their dad is pretty adamant about it.

CMcLaws
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Oh that's a good idea too! We also have walkie talkies...

Okay so I'm sending her outside next week with a walkie talkie, a whistle, and a watch. HAHA! 

Quoting mommyreid:

I live on a corner where there are 11 children, therefore I allow my 9 and 5 year olds to play outside, most of the time they are running in and out, so there is no need for check in.  We rely on the buddy system, they are NEVER without another child.  If you need some extra reassurance, buy her a whistle and make sure she knows how to blow it loudly, that way if she has an emergency, at least she'll have a way to let someone know where she is.

Nature_Luvr
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I live in Florida too. It is hot. It's miserable. I have a 9 year old DD. I've heard way too many bad things happen down here to let her go outside alone. I just can't do it. Fenced yard or not.

Edit: I live in the heart of the city and there are registered sex offenders living in a condo complex a mile away from where I do. I'm the manager of condos I live in.The good thing is I can check people's backgrounds before they ever get to sign a lease. But  If I move I'm not only giving up a free place to live, I'm giving up my income.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM

IMO, in your situation yes you are being too protective.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)