Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Son was hurt in daycare...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM
  • 42 Replies

Ok - I need your honest opinions.  On 5/19 my 2 y/o son fell at daycare and hit his head on a wrought iron fence (inside mind you).  He had a deep scratch (not deep enough for stitches) and the front of his forehead looked...I can't even explain it - he looked like frankenstein.  Now two weeks later, he still has bruising and a scar.  Anyway, they called me, totally played it down.  When I picked him up that evening from daycare, my stomach was in knots.  I even asked the one worker if I should take him to the ER.  She seemed to think he was fine.  I drove straight to my Moms to let her see it.  She suggested I call his Dr when I got home.  He was OK that night, just very low key, which is very unlike him.  I happened to have off the following day from work so when my son woke up in the a.m. he immediately started vomiting - EVERYWHERE!  I called the DR right away and she told me to get him to the ER asap.  They did a cat scan and didnt find anything and sent us home.  They chalked up the vomiting to a stomach bug or from headache from the injury.  I also stayed home work the following day because he was still complaining that his head hurt.  So, in all, I was out of work a day, had to pay an ER co-pay of $100.00 and also had to pay for the day that I didnt send my son to daycare.  Do you think I am crazy for asking for some sort of reimbursement from the daycare? 

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyPainter
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I think that would be a reasonable request.   If they don't believe you, have the doctor write a note.

armywifey26
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Here is the catch, it's not wrong that you ask for reimbursement, the question is all that paperwork you signed when you enrolled him probably had something that prevents anybody suing due to injury that is not gross negligence. So read thru your enrollment papers before you pursue it and make sure your not starting something your not able to finish.

ibebreezy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM

i think it's unreasonable.

momma_bear1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM

You can't expect accidents not to happen in daycare; I can't tell you how many times my son has come home with scrapes and scratches from falls at daycare. You won't get reimbursement from the daycare even if he had needed to go straight to the ER from there - they just won't do that. 

fyrecracker
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I don't want to sue them - I just want maybe a free day next week, or go halfsies with me for the ER co-pay...something...

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM

He could have gotten hurt in your care just as easily and you choose to take him to the ER instead of his family doctor. No, you should not be asking for reimbursement.

Although I would make it very clear to the provider that you be called immediately if something like that happens again.

Zawifey
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM

this:

Quoting armywifey26:

Here is the catch, it's not wrong that you ask for reimbursement, the question is all that paperwork you signed when you enrolled him probably had something that prevents anybody suing due to injury that is not gross negligence. So read thru your enrollment papers before you pursue it and make sure your not starting something your not able to finish.

crazymama2kids
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM
me too. Kids get sick and you have no proof he is sick from hitting his head.

Quoting ibebreezy:

i think it's unreasonable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyfat5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I think it depends on what is in your contract with the daycare. You might want to call a lawyer and see if they will give you a free consult.

allottamom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM

i would make sure that..that is what even happened. I worked at a few day cares, and some are pretty shady. You need to be careful. Especially that they down played it. The day care i work out now would have had you leave work if the cut was that bad. good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)