Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

~~I'm NOT Paying~~UPDATE IN BLUE~~

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM
  • 109 Replies

Ok here is the story, it's kinda long but bare with me. In february we moved into this apartment(my fiance, our 6 month old son and I). first we had an old landlord then the apartments got signed over to new owners. Well a few months ago I called the Landlord to let them know somethings that needed to be fixed. Which were, we need screens, new carpet(people before us had a cat and they pisst all over the master bedroom) everything we used wouldn't get rid of the smell, our fan needed to be fiixed, and our AC wasn't working. Well it is now June and the only thing that has been fixed is the fan. Now we live in Michigan and the past week has been way to HOT, so hot that my son was crying constently, he even got a heat rash and I had a hard time breathing. I called them and they came out and side it needs a whatever but it's an old AC. So then I call them again and they say if it's over $1,000 that they can't pay for it that we would need to talk to the maintence guy and have him talk to the bank. Which we have been waiting on everything else that the guy was suppose to get money from the bank and fix the stuff and it still hasen't been fixed to this day.Also everyone else in these apartments have AC including the guy downstairs, which the AC's connect.

So we have decided to not pay rent because they aren't doing their jobs and we have a little boy that has to suffer with fans that doesn't even cool down the house. Are we right for doing this? Or could we get in trouble? Or do we just let them take us to court and fight it?

We went and bought an AC unit last night, kept the reciept and wrote a letter and sent it out this morning. I'd like to thank the momma's for their help I appreciated it. For the few that were jerks and bashing me, you need to lay off and move on. Also for the one person, I was not a spoiled kid not even close, I layed my son on the floor a few times without a blanket and found out he had the skin problem and now he goes on a blanket. I'm not a piece of crap mom, I may be young but I know what to do MY SON COMES 1ST AT ALL TIMES> Once again thank you Momma's!!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortysashious2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I would pay rent, so they would have money to fix the Ac, but depending on how much your rent is it might not cover it.  A landlord is required to fix these things that go wrong in a house...which is why some people never buy a house, so they never have to fix things themselves.  I would talk to a lawyer about it ASAP...or instead of paying them rent, use it to buy a window unit and let them know about it.  Tell them you NEED air conditioning and so if they weren't going to do anything about it, you did. 

daulton_dustin
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Wow no help hummmm..........

littlemisscutie
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM

You need to call the landlord tenant act. You can withhold only half of your rent not all of your rent. (this is what I was told but I live in ontario canada) so the laws maybe diff where you are. You could even google landlord tenant act for your area and find out.

brittany21921

You first have to find out what the landlord/tentant laws are for your state. Then I would send them a certified letter it's $3 max informing them about the issues and that rent will not be paid until these items are fixed. You have to make sure you do it right. My sil had something similar happen and had mold. because she didn't inform the landlord properly or the courts, she had to pay 4 months of back rent and court costs.

audriesmommy

In al honesty we own and I have no idea.  So here is a bump.

daulton_dustin

BUMP!

exceptalilfish
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM

is there any kind of agreement that they have to fix that stuff?

daulton_dustin

Now is there a website to check those laws if so do you know what it is?

Quoting brittany21921:

You first have to find out what the landlord/tentant laws are for your state. Then I would send them a certified letter it's $3 max informing them about the issues and that rent will not be paid until these items are fixed. You have to make sure you do it right. My sil had something similar happen and had mold. because she didn't inform the landlord properly or the courts, she had to pay 4 months of back rent and court costs.

judybant

you need to check with your local housing authority about not paying the rent, before you do so. Air conditioning is NOT mandatory in Michigan. You CAN use fans, etc... to move air around. Now... if you lived in Texas, or Arizona, in the desert, then yes, you can argue that A/C is mandatory. The carpets CAN be cleaned. You may need to call in a professional cleaner, get it done, and then get reimbursed with a rent abatement for that... and the screens, you can make that repair for less than 100 bucks, and also get reimbursed.  Did you receive a new lease when the new owners took possession? If not, then look on the lease that you DO have, and see if there's anything there that addresses how problems are to be dealt with. Laws vary from state to state, but most of what you're complaining about is "convenience" items, not "necessary for living there" items.

daulton_dustin
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Yes it is in our lease

Quoting exceptalilfish:

is there any kind of agreement that they have to fix that stuff?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)