Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hit and run accident, need advice

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

Back on 5/12 I left work just to find out someone hit my van and just left. I was so upset. It was hard to hold back the tears.

The next morning My supervisor and a couple co-workers scowered the parking lot and I thought I found the vehicle that did it. Found out it was a co-worker that owned the vehicle. So we got back and my supervisor emailed him and he admitted to doing it and that he attempted to find the owner (verified by other co-workers that he actually did).

Anyway, he is only 19 and about to leave on his mission. For the past 3 weeks I have been trying to be nice and do this without going through his dad's insurance by working with his dad. But it is 3 weeks later and rarely hearing from his dad. It has been over a week since the last time I talked to him. I sent him an email this morning and nothing. I asked my coworker for an update and he never responded to my email.

I am getting worried and not sure why it is taking his dad so long to decide if he is just going to pay for it or go through insurance.

I just need some advice on what to do now. Please help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RmeWifey01
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I don't have any advice, but it happened to me once too so don't feel alone. I had just bought a brand, spankin-new BMW....4 weeks old....some doofus broadsided the passenger side in a parking lot and ran!!! After insurance it cost me $1500 to replace the door on a brand new car. AND for 4 weeks I was stuck with a winter-rat.

Then when we got back to the States (had been in Germany), my dh took his NEW BMW into the shop for an oil change, and they made him park it in their lot. THEIR OWN snow plow proceeded to plow it and completely wrecked the front end. His car was maybe 2 mths old. Thankfully they -the car dealership- replaced the entire front end at their own expense and we were nice and did not sue them.

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Wow....that's awful. I would have been so sick to my stomach. Glad the dealership atleast took care of the responisbility for their accident.

tomatoqueen
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Simply send an email to the dad and say that you know that it is a difficult time, but you need to have your van repaired quickly. If you do not have a response with a detailed plan to have your van repaired within 5 days (actually give him a deadline), you will have no choice but to go through their insurance. Make sure you provide contact numbers in your email.

LiesLiesLies
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM
I would write him an email giving him 24 hours to front the money....or you are calling the cops. End of story. You are being too nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
V.Dubbya
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I don't mean to sound terrible but I think it's time to report it. I would give the Dad / Coworker one more chance by letting them know in writing that you need a clear and concise plan for repair and payment or you'll need to report the accident to the proper insurance company. I totally feel you on trying to give them a chance but they should have been able to figure something out in a week, maybe two. But three weeks and unresponsive to boot is a recipe for never getting it handled and you getting stuck with the bill - IMO.  Good luck!

Christine0813
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Just file a report with the police, contact your insurance company with your co workers information and save any emails.

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Thanks for the advice....

I think your right, I am being too nice. After all, it was a hit and run. No fault of my own.

I will give him till tomorrow to answer my email then I will send another one letting him know that If I don't hear back by a certain date then I will go and make a police report and request his insurance information. If I don't get that then I will report it to the police.

I can't keep waiting. Especially with the son leaving on a mission in a couple weeks. I hear they are atleast 2 years long so he will gone a long time.

Christine0813
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I honestly wouldn't give them more time. You have given more than enough already. Just make the report.

Quoting HeartofGold:

Thanks for the advice....

I think your right, I am being too nice. After all, it was a hit and run. No fault of my own.

I will give him till tomorrow to answer my email then I will send another one letting him know that If I don't hear back by a certain date then I will go and make a police report and request his insurance information. If I don't get that then I will report it to the police.

I can't keep waiting. Especially with the son leaving on a mission in a couple weeks. I hear they are atleast 2 years long so he will gone a long time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)