Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school bus accident in my hometown claimed the life of a 5 year old boy. read this story to hear about the hero of the day who was only 12.

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
Family Proud of 12-Year-Old Hero
Share:
Thursday, June 3, 2010 - 5:45pm

A 12-year-old Nashport Elementary Sixth Grader is being called a hero for his actions Wednesday following the bus crash on State Route 60.

Shae Burkhart helped to get his fellow classmates off of the crippled bus. His father Kent says Shae was listening to his head phones when he felt the bus start to roll.

"He thought it was a nightmare and then all of the sudden he came to and he says most of the students were rushing to the front to try to get of the bus and he knew that the condition of the bus in the front was not good and he turned around and said he tried to undo it by hand and said he couldn't and he said he just kept kicking it until the door came open," says Kent.

After getting the students to a safe area Shae went back onto the bus to stay with his 6-year-old cousin Drew Burkhart who was trapped. Shae then called his dad to tell him about the accident.

"I said are you okay and he says I'm fine and then he kind of broke down a little bit, but he's says the people are not. There's a couple in there that's not so good and Drew's still on the bus and he's stuck and I can't get him out," says Kent Brukhart.

Burkhart says he's proud of the way his son reacted, and his heart goes out to the King family. Drew Burkhart is still in Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus with injuries to his arm.

Burkhart says bus driver says he has no hard feelings toward bus driver Carol Oler. He says Oler's driven his son and daughter on the bus for some time and he's always seen her be very safety conscious.

How awesome is that. 12 year old hero. What he did saved the lives of the other children on the bus that day..and while he was scared out of his grits he put his own emotions on hold to make sure everyone else was ok. What a little man. Shae the community is SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
alexhuntercody
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM

bump..ladies this could happen to anyone of us who in the morning put our children onto a school bus. The bus somehow and for some reason went off the road and flipped 3 times; killing one child. what this little guy did yesterday saved lives. I am so proud of him..we all are here. I want the world to know about our little hero.

RmeWifey01
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Where is the part of the 5 y/o that died? How did it happen anyway? Half the story is missing. Good for the little boy.

alexhuntercody
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

Where is the part of the 5 y/o that died? How did it happen anyway? Half the story is missing. Good for the little boy.

i put the link up yesterday..let me go get it again.

alexhuntercody
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM

A day that should be festive is more somber at Nashport Elementary school.

Thursday students and staff dealt with the death of 5-year-old Kacey King. Kacey was killed Wednesday in a bus accident on State Route 60 just miles from the school. Counselors from Six County Inc. were in the building meeting with those that needed to talk.

"The last day of school is typically a lot more celebratory," said Tri-Valley School District Superintendent Mark Neal. "It's quiet a tragedy and I think we're feeling our way around it a little at a time."

Letters were also sent to parents and information about helping kids cop is posted on the district's website. Superintendent Neal said as the days progress he's hoping to find more answers, which could come from the bus' video surveillance.

"It has a new digital camera that has better quality, better resolution," explained Neal. "So, we're optimistic that we're going to gain some valuable information from that."

That video is in the hands of the State Highway Patrol who continues to investigate the crash. Five students injured were all in school Thursday, the sixth was released from the hospital.

sarah969
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM

He did a great job but something need to be done for the safety of our kids.This just happen the other day here in Ohio 1 kid was killed and the other are in the hospital with injuries.

DRESDEN, Ohio (AP) -- A school bus carrying seven young children went off a highway, hit a utility pole and flipped onto its roof, killing a kindergarten student in what authorities say is Ohio's first school bus fatality in 22 years.

The crash Wednesday morning near Dresden left the driver, 47-year-old Carol Oler, with serious injuries. Six students had minor injuries.

Authorities said 6-year-old Kasey King of Frazeysburg was killed. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.

The bus was on its way to Nashport Elementary School, about 45 miles east of Columbus.

Mark Neal, superintendent at the Tri-Valley school district, called the accident a terrible tragedy for the community.

The State Highway Patrol says the last school bus crash that killed a child passenger was in Wood County in 1988.

alexhuntercody
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

yesterday a bus was transporting 7 kids to school. The driver still had at least 2 more stops to make but somehow and for some reason she somehow went off the road, rolling the bus 3 times. One little boy died at the scene and another is in the hospital but miraclously the other children and the driver are ok.

alexhuntercody
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Quoting sarah969:

He did a great job but something need to be done for the safety of our kids.This just happen the other day here in Ohio 1 kid was killed and the other are in the hospital with injuries.

DRESDEN, Ohio (AP) -- A school bus carrying seven young children went off a highway, hit a utility pole and flipped onto its roof, killing a kindergarten student in what authorities say is Ohio's first school bus fatality in 22 years.

The crash Wednesday morning near Dresden left the driver, 47-year-old Carol Oler, with serious injuries. Six students had minor injuries.

Authorities said 6-year-old Kasey King of Frazeysburg was killed. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.

The bus was on its way to Nashport Elementary School, about 45 miles east of Columbus.

Mark Neal, superintendent at the Tri-Valley school district, called the accident a terrible tragedy for the community.

The State Highway Patrol says the last school bus crash that killed a child passenger was in Wood County in 1988.

that is the same accident i am talking about. I live there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)