Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if you were grossed out?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM
  • 40 Replies

So, I accepted a part time job assisting a man that is disabled.  I went to work at his home for my first time today. 

The home was nasty.  There was stuff piled everywhere. Not quite hoarding, but very, very close.  It smelled bad. Actually, it flat out stunk. There was dog hair about an inch thick on everything. They have 4 dogs in the house. Stuff just everywhere, including a pair of dirty underwear laying in the middle of the living room.

There are no small children in this home. I understand the guy with the disability not being able to do much, but there are 3 other capable adults in this home and 3 teenagers.  There is no reason to live in filth like this.

I stuck it out for my hours today, but after I got home I called and left them a message. I basically said that I felt very uncomfortable in their home and that I wasn't expecting for there to be that many dogs in the house.  (The dogs themselves weren't the problem, just the fact that the people didn't keep it clean.)  I told them that I didn't think that I was a match for their family and that they may want to call the other applicants and see if anyone is still interested.

What would you have done?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM

bump

Septpreggo
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM

same thing, ive done this work before but i refuse to work in filth, u may also want to report the family to ADULT PROTECTIVE SERVICES for making the disabled guy live in filth

sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I would have done the same thing

________
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I would have stuck in there and even offered to help do some cleaning each day I am there. That's just me personally, there is no telling how many caregivers may have done what you just did...work a day and never come back. This man deserves a stable, reliable caregiver despite his home environment.

NEWMOMOF1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:06 PM

SAME THING.

JZB

Quoting Septpreggo:

same thing, ive done this work before but i refuse to work in filth, u may also want to report the family to ADULT PROTECTIVE SERVICES for making the disabled guy live in filth

lady_kira

I probably woud have helped him clean it.

Septpreggo

theres 6 others living there ? 3 adults and 3 teens ? they need to clean the damn house

IlyssasMommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I would have done the same thing. A disabled person does not need to live in that kind of enviorment.

Ohiomomto2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

This...(the red part)

Quoting Septpreggo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)