Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I shaved DD's head... EDIT

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM
  • 51 Replies

I didn't... but I sure as hell wanted to!

I am just so damn tired of brushing out the mass of hair that is knotted on the back of her head. She will be 9yrs old next month and she knows that she  needs to brush her  hair or it will be knotted. Well today I was fed up with brushing out the knots myself. I put detangling spray... didn't work! I put leave-in conditioner... didn't work! I put regular conditioner... didn't work! I put olive oil... after 30min of combing I finally got out all of the knots (and her hair was soaked with oil).

So here are some pics

Before

After- its still kinda oily because of how much oil I had to use to get the knots out

(she is being goofy in the last one because she didn't want to have her picture taken)

ETA:

I guess I should have made myself clearer... the "after" pics are after I cut her hair. It was about 5-6in longer than it is in the last 2 pics.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Oh, no.  Time for a short hair cut until she can learn to take care of it.

Ohiomomto2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

My DD is 8 and doesn't know how to take care of her hair...so it's not very long.  Before this year I always made her get a bob (longer in the front/sides, and shorter in the back) and it never got tangled.  Right now it is medium length, and I told her that she can grow it out if she takes care of it, if not, it is getting cut again! 

mamivon2

Good God
i thought my dds hair was bad :)

sherri8806
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

oh its sooo pretty when its all combed out though lol.

mrs.sgt
Frizz Ease shampoo/conditioner might help, I have been using it for a few months now and wet or dry my hair doesn't tangle near as much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cshepard
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I let my hair get like that once when I was about 7(my mom worked nights so it was up to me to fix my hair since my dad didn't know how...and I didn't brush underneath) so when my mom saw it, she took me and cut it to my ears, I cried. But when it grew out, you better believe I kept it brushed!!

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

This is what i was thinking.. Oh and maybe try some stuff called SILK.. It helps ALOT !!

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Pnukey
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

YES! That's what we did at age 7 for dd. She learned to brush her hair after that. It wasn't boy short, but chin length, so she could gradually learn to brush more tangles as it got longer.

isra1986

Are you sure she is not brushing it?
My mom used to get soooo mad at me because she thought I wasn't brushing my hair, but I just have cruddy hair and to this day, it is matted every single morning when I wake up. And it's knoted 10 mins after I brush it!
Try getting her hair layered and teach her how to braid it or pull it up in a bun.

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

nothingbutgirls

I guess I didn't write it out right.

The after pics are after I cut it. I was about  5-6in longer than it is in the last pics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)