Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby sold for $140

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

Found this in the news earlier.. It's actually sad when you think about it. I wouldn't even know if they have adoption options or their laws on these sort of things. The mother obviously knew she couldn't afford to raise her child. I wonder what will happen to the child now?

"A 30-year-old Bolivian woman was arrested for selling her newborn baby for the equivalent of $US140 ($A166), police say.

Police official Jose Borda, who heads the division of trafficking of persons in the city of Cochabamba, identified the woman as Jesusa Molle and said she acknowledged selling the baby girl.

The woman "at first pretended that the baby girl was kidnapped from the maternity ward" but later admitted having sold the newborn for 1000 bolivianos, the equivalent of $US140.

The mother, a domestic worker from an indigenous family, said she had agreed to the sale because she could not afford to care for the child after being abandoned by her husband.

Authorities also arrested the buyer, 35-year-old Evangelina Suarez, who could not have children of her own and had agreed on the deal two months earlier.

Bolivia is among the poorest countries in Latin America with 60 per cent living below the poverty line. "

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MandyOs
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

A sad, unfortunate story..

This is reality for most people..

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Hmm...while I don't really agree with concept of "selling" a child, how was this diffent than an adoption?  A woman had a baby she couldn't take care of, a woman that couldn't have a child got one.

BlessedToBMommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Hmm...while I don't really agree with concept of "selling" a child, how was this diffent than an adoption?  A woman had a baby she couldn't take care of, a woman that couldn't have a child got one.

SOB0313
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Thats sad

mrs.sgt
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM

i've often wondered this myself.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Zawifey
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

well hopefully the people who ended up with the baby can give it a better life than she could, its very sad but maybe it was for the best.

dre_bunny
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Quoting mrs.sgt:

i've often wondered this myself.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)