Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could someone explain this whole oil well thing to me??

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM
  • 24 Replies

I don't understand how there is a underwater well shooting out oil that wont stop. Where did the old come from and how did it get underwater, and what did they do to make it shoot out like it is. I mean why does it keep going? 45 days of shooting out oil if we have oil like this then why are they always saying we need more. Is it a boat that was carrying oil that somehow spilled into the ocean? Also is this going to effect our water, fish, and food sources? This whole thing sound horrible, and are there states that are going to be effected more, and what are those states?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kat770
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I haven't heard more details that what you posted, but let me sort of (try to) explain how it works (my dad works on oil rigs, and thankfully had just finished up a BP job right before this),

Picture a dock on stilts (a rig).  Picture a big glass of water, a hard shell at the bottom, and some oil under the shell.  poke (drill) a straw through the bottom hard shell.  Up on the rig they collect the oil.  The open line (the straw) is spewing out what's there because of pressure.

Kat770
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

oh and the states most affected are Louisiana, of course, Mississippi, and probably Alabama and Texas (and Mexico), and if it goes far enough, maybe Florida.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Who put the oil there in the first place. If this was a risk why not put all the oil on land or would that be horrible also?

Quoting Kat770:

I haven't heard more details that what you posted, but let me sort of (try to) explain how it works (my dad works on oil rigs, and thankfully had just finished up a BP job right before this),

Picture a dock on stilts (a rig).  Picture a big glass of water, a hard shell at the bottom, and some oil under the shell.  poke (drill) a straw through the bottom hard shell.  Up on the rig they collect the oil.  The open line (the straw) is spewing out what's there because of pressure.

Kat770
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM

lol, the oil is underground underneath the water.  it has to be drilled out.  most of the oil we use is drilled from the earth underneath water.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM

oh and thanks, I have been so confused it all just sounds horrible.

Quoting Kat770:

oh and the states most affected are Louisiana, of course, Mississippi, and probably Alabama and Texas (and Mexico), and if it goes far enough, maybe Florida.

maddiesmamma717
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM

??? The oil comes from under the sea bed

Ajanee12
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

thats where oil comes from is under ground, thier pumping it up.  It can be any where underground including in the ocean.

Quoting misssy2000:

Who put the oil there in the first place. If this was a risk why not put all the oil on land or would that be horrible also?

Quoting Kat770:

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

oh so thats was what was confusing me. I was trying to figured out where all this oil came from. I dont understand our gas prices getting so high if we had an unlimited supply of water just sitting under the earth or is that a whole other kind of oil.

Quoting Kat770:

lol, the oil is underground underneath the water.  it has to be drilled out.  most of the oil we use is drilled from the earth underneath water.

Kat770
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I can really sympathize with the families of the victims.  I know one of the guys who died had a wife and two kids.  My mom and I were so scared until we talked to my dad to make sure he wasn't on that rig (he was on land in the office, thank god).  It's a tough, hard job, and most of the guys out there are hard workers-- some just want to do it for a few years because the money is good and they want to help their families get ahead.  It's really sad.

Kat770
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM

well, the prices depend on a lot of different things.  Something that would provide more jobs and probably lower gas prices were if more oil refineries plants were built in the US.  I think the newest one is a little over 30 years old.  (there they take the fresh oil, or crude, and filter and clean it and separate it- kind of like if you donate red blood platelets, they pump your blood out, then it separates into blood platelets and plasma, and they pump the plasma back in your body). 

Quoting misssy2000:

oh so thats was what was confusing me. I was trying to figured out where all this oil came from. I dont understand our gas prices getting so high if we had an unlimited supply of water just sitting under the earth or is that a whole other kind of oil.

Quoting Kat770:

Kathryn

It makes more sense to cultivate wonderful adult skills than the traits that make kids easy to take care of~ Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)