Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going off formula. Need advice.

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

Okay so our little dd is on her last can of formula. She is a little over a year old and dh and I have decided no more formula for our dd. So we tried giving her 2% cows milk a month back in a sippy cup and she didn't seem to mind but only took a couple sips and that is it. Like she does with water and juice that comes in her sippy cup. I am just worried that without her formula she won't get all the nutrients and vitimans that she needs. So anyways after the can is gone we are going to start giving her whole milk but my question is do I give her milk in a bottle or sippy cup? Also How many cups of milk should I give her in a day? And how do I keep the milk good when we are traveling in the car? Our dd throws a fit alot on car rides and usually the only thing that calms her is her formula but with her we can't keep the milk good for that long. So any advice with switching from formula to cows milk would be appreciated. Thanks.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Try target for thermal sippies!! You can give it to her in a bottle or a sippie.

colins_mom
by Heather on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:29 PM
What I had to do was mix a little milk into formula because it tastes diffrent or I had to make it chocolate (that one was what my pediatrician suggested) as for keeping it cool, if you have bottles with screw on lids like you would for breast milk storage put some in there and put it in a cooler with ice packs or I believe munchkin makes a portable "fridge" type thing that is just big enough for like one or two cups that plugs into your cigarette lighter in your car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Heather on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM
I forgot about those! DS is drinking out of big boy cups now and I completely forgot about thermos brand sippies lol!

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

Try target for thermal sippies!! You can give it to her in a bottle or a sippie.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klianemcb2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

she'll get used to it and realize thats her drink. Add some chocolate, we used the sugar free kind and used a bottle because my son had/has ear problems and the sucking was good for him.

Just keep a small, soft sided cooler for long car rides, it'll last longer than you think

monkeysmom21006
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

With my son, he wouldn't take regular sippies at first.  We had to start out with the kind that had the soft straw. My daughter started taking a hard spout sippy at 8 months (with formula, of course) so there was no transition to get used to. I'd say maybe start out with milk in the bottle. Maybe for a week or two until she gets more used to cow's milk. If you want to just toss the bottles (like we did), try the soft spout sippy cups or the soft straw ones (made by Nuby). We really don't have an issue with keeping milk good in the car. My kids drink it so fast! They drink about 3 cups a day each...We go through A LOT of milk because SO and I are milk drinkers, too lol.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:33 PM

We use big boy cups too...i saw those cups the other day when i was looking at a baby registry.

Quoting colins_mom:

I forgot about those! DS is drinking out of big boy cups now and I completely forgot about thermos brand sippies lol!

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

jltplk25
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I *think* your LO is supposed to get 18-24 oz a day...DS had a hard time switching from BM to cow's milk. He didn't like ANYTHING I did with it and when I took him in to the doctor, the doctor chewed me out for not giving him more milk. I believe the 18-24 oz is what he told me DS was supposed to be drinking a day. GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)