Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crying it out...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:18 PM
  • 8 Replies

For all the cry it out mommas--how long do you let your child cry it out at night before going to get them?  I'm asking because I'm going through this right now (like as I type) with my 1yr old.  It breaks my heart, but the boy needs to learn to self soothe and go back to sleep.  I want to go get him but then I'm defeating the purpose.  What to do :-(

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
StellarJKD
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:19 PM

She usually quits within 5 mins....if she doesn't I hold out for 10...but I can't take it any longer!! I'm afraid she'll feel like she's not being heard :(

Sorry, I know that's probably no help!

kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:21 PM

as long as I know nothing is wrong and they are not crying a pain  cry i will let it go on for a while. After I decided that was long enough I will get them up read a book for a few minutes less then 30 and try again, make sure they do not go to sleep while they are up reading though

crazymama0286
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:21 PM

My kids could dry for an hour if I let them. Usually no more than 20 minutes. Then you just wanna go in there and make sure he's ok and cover him back up.

jendawn1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM

HUGS  I was told wait ten min and then go in sooth and put them back down then wait another 15 min and go in sooth and leave then 45 min and then feed and sooth. but i thinkit different for each preson.

chais_wifey
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM
If she was still crying by 10 mins something was usually wrong.

Quoting StellarJKD:

She usually quits within 5 mins....if she doesn't I hold out for 10...but I can't take it any longer!! I'm afraid she'll feel like she's not being heard :(

Sorry, I know that's probably no help!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baebear
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Sorry. I can`t help you. I`ve all ways felt that crying it out is unnecessary and cruel. If you want independent children, give birth to adults. Jmo

If you can`t dazzle them with brilliance...

then baffle them with bullshit

lilydoyle
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM

My youngest dd is the first one I've had to let CIO, and she was 8 months when I started. I'd gone too many nights with her waking up every hour to eat, & not napping AT ALL during the day. You just have to make sure they are clean, dry, & fed when you put them down. Also, where did he sleep before? Were there lights in the room? Maybe he needs one? Some music? Do you read stories, cuddle, share affection? Is he in a crib or bed? Mine is in a convertable, & it's set for the toddler bed, so she can get out & not feel trapped. The first week, for me, she cried from 30 to 45 minutes,h & was out. After the first week, we made sure to play hard all day, or learn stuff & play, & that seemed to help her fall asleep quickly. I would go to the door every 10 minutes & just listen, to make sure he didn't get an arm or leg caught between the bars. If his cry's loud, but half hearted, or a little hoarse, he's getting close to falling asleep, so STAY OUT!!! If you need any more help, shoot me a message!

laidbackmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM

We had to do this with my DD.  She's a November baby and when we went home for the holidays we screwed her schedule up and she wound up sleeping with us.  That was AWFUL when we got home.  We had to institute the "no-pick-up" rule.  We'd put her in her bed and and let her cry it out by herself for about 5 minutes.  Then we'd go in to check on her and tell her it was night-night time and that we loved her.  We'd lay her back down and then leave again.  Another 5 minutes later, we'd be back in there and this time one of us would stay with her.  We'd sit in the rocker across from her bed and tell her she was safe and we loved her and she needed to go to sleep.  It took about a week, but she figured out that we weren't going to budge and "rescue" her from going to sleep.  It was a rough week of her waking up in the middle of the night and having to do it all over again as well.  But it was so worth it in the end!  She's a GREAT sleeper now!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)