Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To save your child...Would you do it?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM
  • 79 Replies

Poll

Question: If one of your existing children needed an organ or other life saving procedure(s), would you create another child for the sole reason of saving your existing child's life?

Options:

YES!!!

NEVER!!!

I HAVE.

MAYBE.

OTHER

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 164

View Results

I just watched "My Sister's Keeper" for the 1st time, today. I have not read the book yet. The whole story is disturbing. I cried throughout the movie. I think while the parents (mostly the mother's) intentions were good, they clearly were not in the best interest of their daughters. They seemed a bit selfish to me. I felt bad for the parents (DH and I have an angel in Heaven) because the worst thing in the whole world is to lose a child, but I felt worse for the girls.

Would you do it?

of 6, Godmother to 3 beautiful girls

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lullababy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I think I would not do it but thankfully have never been in that position. 

asmcbride

No. Never.

mommyof3boys567

I saw that and it was horribly sad  It even had my DH bawling LOL...they should really put a warning label on movies like that lol..to answer your question..IDK if I could do it or not I guess its one of those situations that you HAVE to be in  in order to get the right answer.

raegansmom

I have never seen/ read it.  If both children would live normal lives, yes I would.  I would not sacrifice one child to save another though.

Brianav
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Probably. 

jridgill
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I am sure I would be desperate enough to do it. Doesn't mean it would be the only reason though.

kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I would not, If I was planning on having another child and the cord blood would help that would be about as far as it went. If the kids were older and matched for a blood transfusion or ever bone marrow and wanted to do it I would allow that but I would not create a donor child

MandyOs
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I've never been in that position, but I think I would never have another child JUST to be a donor.. That sounds a little weird.. I would go to extremes, but I would never "use" my own child.

I definitely have to watch that movie.

nemiller
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:27 PM

i couldn't have a child for the express purpose of using them as a tool.  that would be heartbreaking, especially if the child i was "saving" were to pass away ANYWAY.  then i'd have the grief of losing a child, plus the guilt of what i did.

AprilDJC
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I don't think I would because that child that is conceived SHOULD have the right to their own bodies. But then again, I've not been in that situation so I really don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)