Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

they think my son has meningitis!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:20 AM
  • 47 Replies

He's very sick with nausea and vomiting, high fever, and complaining of pain in his neck!  I'm a wreck.  He's pretty much unresponsive.  He only talks to ask for a kiss, or to go home.  BLAH!  I just want him to feel better!  I think they're going to do a spinal tap, soon.  He's fully vaccinated, so if it IS meningitis, I'm pretty sure it's viral, which usually isn't deadly.  But he is still very sick.  All I want is for my baby to feel better.  I feel horrible, because he keeps asking for things that I can't give him!  To go home, or even a juice box (they won't let him have more than 1 tsp of fluids, until he stops vomiting.)  OMG, I feel so bad!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:21 AM

hope he gets better soon!

Mel30248
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Wow I have been in your shoes except my daughter was only eight days old when we went through this. Eight days old Christmas day we found three puss filled bubbles on her body. We called the ER who told us to get into the hospital now dont delay so we did. She as well got a spinal tap. I am not going to go into details unless you ask me to of our story but I completely understand what you are going through. I cried my eyes out didnt have a clue really what was going on & couldnt stop shaking. Please keep us updated on what happens & if you need anything just PM me. It's all very scary thing to go through believe me I know I hope all turns out well with your little boy.

mommy2cristian
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Wow.  I really hope that's not the case & that he gets better soon.  I thought bacterial they could treat but I guess I was wrong.  Hugs!

RmeWifey01
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Oh gosh! I'm sorry. I remember my oldest ds getting that spinal tap when he was somewhere around 9 or 10 mths old. His turned out negative thank Jesus, but he screamed so bad and they wouldn't let me anywhere near him and kept the curtain closed so I couldn't see him. I freaked of course. I feel for you.

ajswenson
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Ok we went through this same scary thing with my son last spring....some things that helped us....ask if your son can have Zofran.  It helps with nausea, then the fever meds can stay in long enough to work.  Another thing, have they had your son move his head in all sorts or directions??? Especially chin to chest??? ...and lastly, ask your son if he can jump.  Serious.  The doctor who worked on my son told us that people with menangitas can't jump - EVER.  keep us posted.  I've been in your spot and it's so scary.  You are in the right place. 

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Why are you here and not in a hospital?

kelleygirl76
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Thanks, mama!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

hope he gets better soon!

FranksHoney
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:31 AM

oH I'm sorry. I had Meningitis when I was 13. It was horrible. I hope he feels better really soon

I am a

20 year old, Breastfeeding, vaxing, no co-sleeping, CIO after a certain age, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, Republican, loving fiance to Frank, Stephen King and Dean Koontz loving, Agnostic, sister of a soldier fighting in Iraqsupport the deportation of ALL illegal immigrantsproud to be Southern, chocolate loving, SAHM to two beautiful daughters with more to come!

Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelleygirl76
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM

When he did the chin to chest, he said it hurt his neck.  When we called the nurse, she told us to do that.  When he said it hurt, she wanted us to bring him in.  They got him settled, and I came home to grab some clothes for me and hubby.  I'll try to keep ypu guys posted by phone!  Thanks for the support!

Quoting ajswenson:

Ok we went through this same scary thing with my son last spring....some things that helped us....ask if your son can have Zofran.  It helps with nausea, then the fever meds can stay in long enough to work.  Another thing, have they had your son move his head in all sorts or directions??? Especially chin to chest??? ...and lastly, ask your son if he can jump.  Serious.  The doctor who worked on my son told us that people with menangitas can't jump - EVER.  keep us posted.  I've been in your spot and it's so scary.  You are in the right place. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)