Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I learned today that I am a selfish mother

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM
  • 36 Replies

Yeah apparently I am a selfish mother.  I was at the gym this evening, after dinner but before the kids went to sleep.  My children are 3 (almost 4) and 16 months old.  I did not have to go to work today and aside from doing a little work at home putting final touches together for tomorrow at work I was home and played with the kids all day.

Anyway i was at the gym and a lady on the treadmill beside me decided to strike up a conversation (which I HATE btw).  She asked all about how long I had been in town (super small town.  Everyone knows everyone.  And I have not been here a full year yet, so I am still very new).  Conversation was not bad at first.  I told her where we moved from, were I work, she offered the same info to me.  Then she asked about family.  i told her about my kids and how old they were.  She told me about her grandkids.  She asked if my girls were asleep already and I said no, either dh will put them to sleep, or I will when I get done.  she said "oh so you are only gonna be here for a little bit".  I told her I usually am there for an hour minimum more like an hour and a half.  She looked at me and said "That sounds really selfish to leave your kids before bedtime just to come to the gym."

So apparently I am selfish for wanting to be healthy so i can be around for them for many years and not suffer from all the diseases that my parents struggled with as I was growing up.  Huh.  Guess I learn something new everyday.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:31 AM

wow you really do learn something new everyday. 

PS way to go on the weight loss and getting healthy awesome...

dairyberrys
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM

shes stupid

SassyPainter

Yeah, some people need to mind their own business and keep their mouth shut.

chica1965

I dont know why you let it get to ya mama   Women in general are very hard on other women . And often older women think they can talk down to younger ones.  I have to say if you are confident in your  parenting then don't let  anyones snarky coments get you down. A healthy happy mom is a good mom :)

carter210
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Wow.. I would have went off.

Gees.. your so selfish.. You could have just locked them in the closet earlier and went in the daytime. At least then you would have been there for bedtime then!

Stupid people with their nose in everyone's buisness.

lex07
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Uh. That is rediculously stupid. I would have told her to fuck off.

littlecolton07
by Rebecca on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM
wow! what a bitch!!!! don't feel bad...my own brother told me that I was a lazy mother because my 2 1/2 year old ds isn't potty trained yet. you don't happen to live in Livingston, Texas do you? lol
sweetcherry_59
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Why do you care what some stranger thinks? Does her opinion really affect what your family thinks of you?

I just don't get why your so worried about what some dumb bitch has to say

mandy716
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Quoting sweetcherry_59:

Why do you care what some stranger thinks? Does her opinion really affect what your family thinks of you?

I just don't get why your so worried about what some dumb bitch has to say

I am not really worried about it.  I was being sarcastic.  I know that I am a good mom and doing what is best for me and my family.  I just thought that the way this woman saw it was kind of...interesting.

NEWMOMOF1
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:56 AM

DUMB ASS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)