Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know who I was before I became a mom....honest question

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM
  • 5 Replies

The other post got me wondering.  Those who say "being a mom is who I am" "I never knew who I was" "I found myself when I became a mom"  what will you do when you no longer have little ones?  Do you think you'll still see yourself the same way with an empty nest?

I'm asking because I'm scared if I lose myself I'll have nothing when my kids leave.  I want to be ok with myself and my relationship with SO when it's just us again.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mrs.sgt
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:49 AM

is there a career outside the home you're interested in?  I'm going to be pursuing a law degree, so by the time my kids are in school I'll be studying for the Bar and getting into my career.

mommatbot
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM

I did reply that in a post tonight...I won't stop being a mom just because my son leaves my house and grows up.

ETA: Maybe that post was more or less about hobbies?? idk. I never gave up my hobbies after my son. I meant in general, before I was pregnant I knew something was missing, Sure I wanted to travel...still do, but now I get to do it with my son and get to see him enjoy things as much as me. As for a career, I'm working on that..but a job and extra activities don't define me.

mommy492006
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:56 AM

you never really get to stop being a mom even when they move out.... I still go to my moms all the time and they still like to parent me and what not. it doesnt just stop. its a lifelong job.

savedbygrace316
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Well obviously not.  I won't either.  I'll always be a mom but there will come a time when my son doesn't need me the way he does now. 

Ok now I understand what you are saying.

Quoting mommatbot:

I did reply that in a post tonight...I won't stop being a mom just because my son leaves my house and grows up.

nellierice
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I found myself when I found my husband, I was improved after I had kids.  That's how I look at it, I'll be fine (albeit sad!!) when my kids all leave the house, because I'll still have my husband  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)