Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should pregnant women go to jail for drinking? Poll included EDIT about giving a baby wine!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:30 AM
  • 212 Replies

Poll

Question: Should it be illegal for pregnant women to drink alcohol?

Options:

Yes, the unborn child comes before the desires of their mother

No. It`s her body her choice

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 325

View Results

I did not delete my other thread about giving wine to a baby. The powers that be did :-(

I was watching a show tonight about a man taking his wife to court because she was 11 weeks pregnant and drinking. He wanted her "arrested" and put in a facility until the baby was born, to prevent her from drinking and harming their baby.

Her attorney argued that the fetus had no rights. She said it was the mothers body, and her choice what she did with it.

Not only that, but where does it stop? Should women not take prescription pills while pregnant? Should they not drive cars for fear of an accident?

Ultimately, the attorney feels that this case would open the door for the government to take over our lives and choices as women.

What do you think?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2hailey08
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Eh. tough one.

EvaSerenity
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:34 AM

If no one else is going to say it, I will. If you drink while you KNOW you are pregnant, you are an irresponsible dumb ass who doesn't deserve to have a family. Who the hell does crap like that??!!

babyaidensmommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:36 AM
I agree 110%

Quoting EvaSerenity:

If no one else is going to say it, I will. If you drink while you KNOW you are pregnant, you are an irresponsible dumb ass who doesn't deserve to have a family. Who the hell does crap like that??!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TalonMaree
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:36 AM

my hospital does random urine tests to prenatal patients and tests every babys poop to make sure you are having a healthy drug-free pregnancy. If you fail social services gets involved. more hospitals should do this. its kind of like a scare tactic. but i guess it doesn't apply to mothers that dont give a f

Sirenabella
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:38 AM

I agree with her attorney.

lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Her body her choice.

lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Quoting TalonMaree:

my hospital does random urine tests to prenatal patients and tests every babys poop to make sure you are having a healthy drug-free pregnancy. If you fail social services gets involved. more hospitals should do this. its kind of like a scare tactic. but i guess it doesn't apply to mothers that dont give a f

Its a scare tactic that will take them right to the abortion clinic.

theirmommy88
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Someone tell that woman what FAS is and how it will affect the rest of her life. Then see if she keeps drinking. 

LadyIsobel
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:47 AM

I couldnt vote. I dont think they should go to jail but I think they should be offered help because alcohol is dangerous to a foetus.

raven1114
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:51 AM

while i agree it's irresponsable to be drinking while pregnant, throwing them in jail is not the answer either. besides that how would 'we' determine rather or not the woman was pregnant? i mean not every pregnant woman 'looks' pregnant and i've met plently of woman who did 'look' pregnant and weren't. so what are they gonna do make them pee in a cup and test them before every drink? that wouldn't be possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)