Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

13 month old+binky?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:09 AM
  • 35 Replies
My son is 13 months & still has a binky, ever since birth he's had it. I don't mind it because it's his comfort thing, he's a great baby, but some people tell me to take it away from him already :/ he's off the bottle, we gave it to "bottle-land. When he was 10 months, he preferred his sippy cup, so I let him keep the binky, what is everyone's take on toddlers with binkys? Thnx :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceNLove2U
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:12 AM

I am not comfortable with taking away a comfort item. I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing. He's not going to be sucking on the binky forever. As long as it is an orthodontic one, he should be fine!

Kristinmomof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:14 AM

My daughter will be 2 in September and still has her paci. She is weaning from it now and it will be gone by her bday. I won't allow her to have it after 2. Right now she goes to bed with it but when I check on her in the middle of the night its not even in her mouth anymore. She has been saying a ton of words lately so if she tries to talk with it in her mouth I tell her "take out your paci, mommy can't hear you"...she takes it out and is now leaving it out most of the day.

Honestly, I think I am more attached to it than she is, if that makes sense. I get a comfort knowing that she has the thing she wants. She doesn't need it though, I don't think any child does. But it is fine in my opinion for your child to have it at only 13 months. You are mom...you know whats best for your child.

baebear
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:14 AM

*Shrugs* My 8yo dd still has hers. I don`t see a problem with it unless it`s causing a problem.

If you can`t dazzle them with brilliance...

then baffle them with bullshit

Kristinmomof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Quoting PeaceNLove2U:

I am not comfortable with taking away a comfort item. I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing. He's not going to be sucking on the binky forever. As long as it is an orthodontic one, he should be fine!

Just curious :) But when would you feel comfortable with taking it away?

massteria
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I personally think that when the bottles go, so does the pacifier.  But that is just me.  My dd used one until she was about 6 months...then she found her thumb and I just know we will be paying for braces some day lol!  Our doc actually wanted us to get her back on it so she wouldn't have dental problems in the future...but she wasn't having any of that.  As long as they aren't trying to talk around it, it never bothers me to see a kid with a pacifier.  When they get old enough that they have to take the damn thing out to say something, then shove it back in....That pisses me off.  At that point, it is laziness on the part of the parents that don't want to take it away.

massteria
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Honest question here....why the heck does an 8 year old need a pacifier?  And, does she still actively suck on it, or is it just a sentimental thing?

Quoting baebear:

*Shrugs* My 8yo dd still has hers. I don`t see a problem with it unless it`s causing a problem.

csnook
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:19 AM

i seen a 11y/o at walmart tonight with a binki her mom told her to take it out in the store and she throw a fit. her mom was talking to another women and she said that she has never tryed to take it away fro her she even takes it to school

Kristinmomof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Quoting massteria:

I personally think that when the bottles go, so does the pacifier.  But that is just me.  My dd used one until she was about 6 months...then she found her thumb and I just know we will be paying for braces some day lol!  Our doc actually wanted us to get her back on it so she wouldn't have dental problems in the future...but she wasn't having any of that.  As long as they aren't trying to talk around it, it never bothers me to see a kid with a pacifier.  When they get old enough that they have to take the damn thing out to say something, then shove it back in....That pisses me off.  At that point, it is laziness on the part of the parents that don't want to take it away.

Is that the same for breastfeeding? My girls never had a bottle, so just curious to what your opinion is if they are breastfed.

baebear
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Same reason, the 13month has one. It`s a comfort to her. She only uses it at night occasionally or when she`s sick.

Quoting massteria:

Honest question here....why the heck does an 8 year old need a pacifier?  And, does she still actively suck on it, or is it just a sentimental thing?

Quoting baebear:

If you can`t dazzle them with brilliance...

then baffle them with bullshit

PeaceNLove2U
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Probably when I see that she is not interested anymore and just using it "because it's there."

It was only used at night time and on car trips (sometimes) by the time DD was about 1. After a while she just lost interest. I didn't really have to take it away. She was a little over two, maybe two and a half.

Quoting Kristinmomof2:

Quoting PeaceNLove2U:

Just curious :) But when would you feel comfortable with taking it away?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)