Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really that big of a deal?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM
  • 52 Replies

So I've seen on here women who had there child 5 weeks premature. They make a pretty big deal about the baby being a premie and what not. I'm not trying to hurt any feelings but is 5 weeks really that big of a deal? Perhaps I've been mislead.

update: I guess I have been mislead....

I guess I could tell you why I asked. I guess I was EXTREMeLY extremely blessed! My water broke at 34 weeks and 6 days.  But no one so much as batted an eye at it. No one told me there could be complications, no one said she could have to have interventions or anything. It was all very fast and there was absolutely no mental prep for, I guess, what COULD  have happened. Had something gone wrong I would have been terrified b/c everyone was just going along with it like babies came out that early all the time and there was nothing out of the ordinary. Kaitlyn was born 5lbs 2oz and 18 inches. She was truly the tiniest baby I've ever seen in real life or held. But man was she a little fighter. She had apgars of 8/9 she needed NO interventions what so ever at all! So I just assumed it was not a big deal b/c no one made it a big deal. I'm sorry if I offended anyone!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM

I think any premature baby is a big deal whether or not they have any issues due to being early to their due date..

tomatoqueen
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM

It depends on the baby. My son was born at 37 weeks and had respiratory distress and metabolic acidosis and spent a week in the nicu. One of the nurses said they knew we were going to have trouble when they saw his feet and they lacked lines....a sign of prematurity. He was breech.

SweetIrony
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Yes, its a big deal. A preemie born five weeks early will have low birth weight and more than likely issues feeding.

SadiasMomma
by Janet B. Benson on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:40 AM
At 38 weeks I had an amnio... my dds lungs were not developed. So yea, I'd say your opinion sucks, and until you go to med school, it'd be wise to keep it to yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heatherhall29
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:40 AM

I agree with this

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think any premature baby is a big deal whether or not they have any issues due to being early to their due date..

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:41 AM

luvmykaitygrace
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:42 AM

What?

Quoting tomatoqueen:

It depends on the baby. My son was born at 37 weeks and had respiratory distress and metabolic acidosis and spent a week in the nicu. One of the nurses said they knew we were going to have trouble when they saw his feet and they lacked lines....a sign of prematurity. He was breech.

drfink
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:42 AM

yes depending on the lung development.Generally lungs are ripe and ready to go at around 37 weeks.Without enough time for cortisone shots to speed up lung development babies are at risk of H M D and babies still die of that .There is a substantially higher risk of SIDS also. 

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM

So Whoooo Are Yoooouuu?

Quoting iluv2meow:

Click image above to join Motivate to Get in Shape!

luvmykaitygrace
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM

It was a question gosh, chill out!

Quoting SadiasMomma:

At 38 weeks I had an amnio... my dds lungs were not developed. So yea, I'd say your opinion sucks, and until you go to med school, it'd be wise to keep it to yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)