Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Early Birthday Party? Would You Do This?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM
  • 15 Replies

So my dd's birthday is in July and school gets out in June.  She has autism (high functioning) and has really struggled socially.  This year she has made BIG gains in her 1st year of preschool.  She now has many friends and is very proud of herself for having them.  So, I really wanted as many kid as as possible to be able to go to her party.  And growing up I had a summer birthday that was after school got out for the year and I NEVER had anybody come to it.  So, I decided to do it a month early so more of her friends would come.  So her birthday is July 10th and I am doing her party today June 13th for the kids in her class .   And it worked cus all but 2 kids are coming!

Well,my baby Molly will be 1 yr on June 19th, so we have having a HUGE family party for Lilly and Molly on Lilly's real birthday July 10th.  And Lilly LOVEs the idea of celebrating her real birthday with Molly.  And of course being 1 Molly does not know she is sharing!

It all made sense to me but many people especially my SIL and MIL think it is silly and weird and too confusing for my Lilly.  What do you all think?  Would you have done it like this?  is it confusing.  Obviously I can not change things now, so I am just curious!

Thanks!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM

My son's birthday is in August and I plan on doing the same thing. :o)

TinaN64
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I did pretty much that very same thing until my youngest was old enough to want her own party with her own friends.

momof2little1s
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Cool, glad I azm not alone in this.  Funny thing is I am friends with one of the kids mom in her class.  And she is having her party Lilly's real birthday weekend and has already had 10 no RSVPs for the party.  So, I know it was the right choice.  but, I have gotten so much slack over it.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

My son's birthday is in August and I plan on doing the same thing. :o)

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

judybant
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Not confusing at all. The kid gets two birthday parties! How frickn awesome is THAT? I don't care HOW old you are, 2 days where you're the center of attention, and people give you gifts, and you get cake is ALWAYS a good thing! I think you're doing the right thing.

momof2little1s
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:01 AM

My thoughts exactly! Thanks!  She had made So much progress socially that I feel she really deserves it too!

Quoting judybant:

Not confusing at all. The kid gets two birthday parties! How frickn awesome is THAT? I don't care HOW old you are, 2 days where you're the center of attention, and people give you gifts, and you get cake is ALWAYS a good thing! I think you're doing the right thing.

chiamom123
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:04 AM

that's not weird at all we always had two birthday parties one for friends and one with just family. Having it a month Early isn't a bad idea either just as long as you explain to her she doesn't two real birthdays I think she could understand that no problem.

scperdomo
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Your DD and I share a bday! (July 10)

Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me and like you said your other DD is only 1, she won't know the difference. Your MIL and SIL need to let it go and mind their own business! lol

momof2little1s
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM

We have expalined it and she was confused at first.  but, now she says today is her Birthday Party Day!  She woke up today and instead of saying Happy Birthday.  We said, Happy Birthday Party Day!

Quoting chiamom123:

that's not weird at all we always had two birthday parties one for friends and one with just family. Having it a month Early isn't a bad idea either just as long as you explain to her she doesn't two real birthdays I think she could understand that no problem.

momof2little1s
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Thanks!

Quoting scperdomo:

Your DD and I share a bday! (July 10)

Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me and like you said your other DD is only 1, she won't know the difference. Your MIL and SIL need to let it go and mind their own business! lol

Chrystal_A
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM
Her classmates won't know her real bday so why not??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)