Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Seat ?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:03 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm expecting my 2nd child this september and am scoping out the car seat situation. The first time around we used the Graco Snugride.... no real problems with it, but i would have loved a seat that the straps could be tightened from between the legs instead of in the BACK of the seat. I'm kind of looking at the Snugride 35. Also, my son outgrew the snugride by 4 months old and we had to buy all new seats at that time.... so I'm looking for something with a higher height and weight limit than 20lbs. We need 3 seats because myself, my hubby, or sometimes my mother are doing the shuttling. So we need something reasonably affordable. I know you all will have some kind of input.... so thanks in advance!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Owensmom1101
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM

bump

Sweet_Britt
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM

BUMP!

iitzshelbyd
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owensmom1101
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Thanks for the bumps ladies.... I know someone has to have some input!

sleepyone00
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM

With both my girls, I went out and bought the carseats that go from 5lbs to 100lbs.  They start out facing backwards and then wheh the child is ready, all you have to do is turn the seat around.  My brother did the same with his daughter.  It seemed much easier and then you're only buying one seat versus 3 in the end.  You can find them for $80 and up.   They also adjusted in the front.  I want to say mine was a graco.  can't be for sure though.  My nephew is using it now.  :)

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM

What is your budget?

Yes - a front adjustor is much better on an infant seat!

The chicco keyfit, combi shuttle, safety 1st onboard are all seats that go to 30-35 lbs and are very well liked by car seat techs and "geeks".

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Combi Shuttle goes to 33 lbs

Combi Shuttle 33 Infant Car Seat

Chicco Keyfit goes to 30 lbs

Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat and Base

Safety First On Board goes to 35 lbs.

Just to get you started....Safety 1st onBoard 35 Infant Car Seat

kelliehelvie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:27 AM

you will be surprised that there is a group on cm for everything. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Unfortunately, you fell for a marketing ploy - as many, many of us (including myself) have.

Those seats are not the only seats you will ever need, as they expire 6 years from date of manufacture - which is clearly a time a child should still be in a booster.

These seats are jacks of all trades, masters of none.

THey typically make for horrible installs.  They say 5 lbs, but most are not designed to fit newborns properly (or safely).  These seats also typically have low slots, so once you turn them forward facing, the seat is often outgrown very early, meaning you need to go buy a new seat inbetween when the seat was outgrown and booster age.

Lastly, the booster "portions" of these seats are on IIHS's list of boosters to AVOID!  They are poorly deisgned with not only closed belt guides, but even worse, they typically put the belts over the soft parts of the child's body, which leads to being woefully unprotected in a car accident.

It is much better to get a convertible that rear faces and forward faces WELL, with good installs, high top slots and tall shells so you can rear face and forward face to the limits.  The booster portion of these seats is just scary.

Quoting sleepyone00:

With both my girls, I went out and bought the carseats that go from 5lbs to 100lbs.  They start out facing backwards and then wheh the child is ready, all you have to do is turn the seat around.  My brother did the same with his daughter.  It seemed much easier and then you're only buying one seat versus 3 in the end.  You can find them for $80 and up.   They also adjusted in the front.  I want to say mine was a graco.  can't be for sure though.  My nephew is using it now.  :)

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Yes!  This group is awesome!  Definitely post over there as well!  :)

Quoting kelliehelvie:

you will be surprised that there is a group on cm for everything. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)