Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 & 11 year old brothers drown in creek. Babysitter left them unattended.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM
  • 20 Replies

My prayers go out to this familyin our community. The babysitter allowed these brothers..8 & 11 year old to go "check out" the creek from all the recent flooding. Thursday they found the 8 year olds body. Just last night the older boys body was found in the ohio river.

Body Of Second Missing Boy Found In Ohio River

Body Found Near Meldahl Dam

POSTED: 12:19 pm EDT June 11, 2010
UPDATED: 11:53 pm EDT June 12, 2010

LEWIS TOWNSHIP, Ohio --

Officials have ended the search for a Brown County boy who disappeared with his brother earlier this week near a flooded creek.Brown County officials said the body of Justin Devercelly was found in the Ohio River near the Meldahl Dam just after 9 p.m. SaturdayRescue crews earlier cleared all volunteers where Devercelly, 11, and his 8-year-old brother, Blake, were apparently washed away Wednesday in flash flooding.

The younger boy's body was found Thursday morning in the rain-swollen Bullskin Creek, which empties into the Ohio River.Crews searched throughout the day Friday with cadaver dogs, which can search in debris piles and other places where humans can't go.

Video:
Cadaver Dogs Brought In To Search For Missing Boy
Tips To ProtectYour Family From Fast Water"That's the biggest reason the dogs come in as an asset, because you can't see into those debris piles, but they can with their nose," said Melissa Newman, of the Erlanger Fire Department.Officials said after a fifth day of searching that any future searches for the body of Justin Devercelly would be futile.Barge operators were alerted to look out for any sign of the boy or his body.The Devercelly brothers both attended Felicity Franklin Elementary School."It's a small school, just a little over 400 kids in the elementary," said Principal Jennifer Keller. "It's going to be tough. ...

It's just a devastating situation."The boys had been playing at babysitter Michelle Walls' home when they asked to get a closer look at the flooded creek."Michelle showed the boys how far out in the yard they could go and they wanted to look at the water. She told them not to get near it," said Christine Combs, who was there at the time.Combs estimates the boys were alone outside for about twenty minutes before Walls went to get them and couldn't find them anywhere."We started getting frantic. She was blowing on the horn driving up the road, getting frantic, calling neighbors and looking in sheds," said Combs.Then, Combs said, the rain started to pour, and Bullskin Creek in Walls' backyard started rising rapidly."The waves were as big as my van," said Combs.Then Combs said they called 911 and rescue efforts for the two boys began in vain.Brown County Chief Deputy John Schadle said criminal negligence charges aren't out of the question, but Combs said it was a tragic accident."Right now, Michelle spends 90 percent of her time in a fetal position. She's not doing good," Combs said.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ABMommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM

i feel sorry for their poor parents for those poor children

sierracarlisle
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM

so sad :(

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Oh how tragic for everyone.  So sad!

KokoJones
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM

that is so sad :( my prayers are with the family.

heidi37217
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:50 AM

SO SAD!!! I will keep them in my prayers.

tdoubleday04
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I can't imagine going through that.  the family has my prayers but I know god says to forgive, but If someone was the cause of my child's death....I wouldn't be forgiving..

dsebastian23
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Its not the babysitters fault im sorry..jmo..the boy was 11 he should have known better! This is a very sad sad story.

aoaks2009
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:59 AM

The babysitter is only human and while I know that people make mistakes but leaving a 8 year old and 11 year old in a backyard with a rapidly rising creek was not good judgement. She is at fault for not supervising someones children that she was babysitting. I'm sure the parents are furious, but it sounds like the babysitter is already beating herself up over it.

Quoting dsebastian23:

Its not the babysitters fault im sorry..jmo..the boy was 11 he should have known better! This is a very sad sad story.

KaylasMiracle
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM

JMO...But I don't feel the babysitter is responsible...she went out and showed them exactly how far they were allowed to go...they knew better than to go further...I have seen SOOOO many posts on here about mommas that leave much younger kids in the yard alone...My 9 yr old plays in my mother's yard alone...granted it is not near a road or creek he stills knows where he is and is not allowed to go...God forbid he ever goes beyond my mother's yard and something happens, I would NOT blame my mom!

It was a horrific ACCIDENT and prayers go out to ALL involved!

2cool4school
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I don't really think it matters who is to blame. Two boys, from the same family no less, are dead. My prayers are with those boys, their family, AND the babysitter who will live with this guilt until the day SHE dies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)