Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boosters are easier? PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM
  • 41 Replies

I hear this all the time

"I can't wait til he can use a booster its so much easier."

"We moved him to a booster because it was easier."

HOW is a booster easier?  When you use a booster for a child that is YOUNG, I'm talking under 4 and 40lbs, you still have to do the seatbelt for them.  Heck my son is almost 8 and I still have to check his belt because its often not tight enough acorss his hip area.

I personally think the harness is easier because they can atleast get the shoulder straps on themselves.  My older kids can do the straps themsleves totally to get in and out, when we switched to the booster it was a pain in my opinion.

YES I do get that people can't afford seats that harness to 65lbs sometimes and use the $50 seat that most kids outgrow height wise by 2-3 years old from Walmart. but the Maestro is $70 at Sears and will last most kids height and weight til 4-5 years old if NOT more.(my 6 year old fits FINE).

I know not all states have laws that say ages and weights but many do say 4 and 40lbs for a booster seat.  Very rarely are 4 year olds even mature enough to sit still all the time in a booster.  It means no sitting cross legged, no leaning, no slouching.  How many of us as adults can say we sit correctly all the time?

I am not attacking, just explaining my thoughts and asking so I can understand how boosters are easier to others besides me.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I'll give the same response I gave in the other group~!  LOL!

I hear you Tabi - and I agree.  I do not understand what makes them "easier"...  My 5 year old is still in a harness - he does the top - and I click the bottom.  Easier than fishing around in the seat while leaning over him to help him find the end of the belt and certainly equally as easy as double checking the lap portion of the belt, as you indicated.

Not to mention - he is safer that way - which for me, trumps easy anyway! :)

Not to mention children younger than 4 are not recommended to be in boosters anyway and in many states it is illegal for them to do so!

alotta_fagina
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM

The fact that it makes it easier is a cop-out.common sense will tell you that 4 and 40 is safe for boosters, no less!!!

Brianav
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:27 PM
It was easier for me:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM

They are NOT safer, but I do agree they are easier. My 6 yo nephew is in one, and it is very easy to buckle him in imo. I don't plan on moving my DD to a booster for quite sometime though. She's harnessed in her nautilus now.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM

What age/weight is your child though?

Quoting Brianav:

It was easier for me:)

tabi_cat1023
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I'm trying to understand HOW it is easier..its still using a strap of some kind and clipping.  Harnesses are not that complicated.

Guess I just don't understand....I really do want to.

alotta_fagina
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I'm trying to understand HOW it is easier..its still using a strap of some kind and clipping.  Harnesses are not that complicated.

If you have to take the carseat in and out of vehicle(s) a lot then IMO it would be easier. It's also a lot easier to run errands when your kids are old enough to stay home alone.it doesn't mean that you leave a 3 yr old home alone because it's easier. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
massteria
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I moved dd to a booster at about 3 1/2.  She was too tall for the strap in seat, and it was making it very difficult to get her buckled in properly.  She does fine now at 4 1/2 in her booster.  It has the high back with the shoulder strap guide, so it go across her just like it should with no extra fuss.  She can also buckle herself in.  I will pull it to make sure it is tight on her lap, but she almost has that one down too. 
That is why it is easier for me to use the booster :)

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Quoting alotta_fagina:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

If you have to take the carseat in and out of vehicle(s) a lot then IMO it would be easier. It's also a lot easier to run errands when your kids are old enough to stay home alone.it doesn't mean that you leave a 3 yr old home alone because it's easier. 

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM

My DD is at an age where all the kids her age are in boosters(most lbb) and she is still RF. She is the only 4.5 year old around here that is still harnessed. My DS is 7 and he prefers to be harnessed, so he is. he has a booster, but he like his Regent better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)