Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cord blood and letting the cord stop pulsating...Advice, please. PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a friend who's husband has cancer. I plan on letting the cord stop pulsating and was wondering, if I do that, will there be ANYTHING left in the cord as far as cord blood for stem cells? I'd really like to attempt to help her, but obviously, my child will come first. Anyone know if I can let it stop pulsating and still donate some cord blood?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monkeysmom21006
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:36 PM

BUMP!

monkeysmom21006
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM

BUMP!

butterflyblu
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM

No.  If you delay cord clamping there will not be any left to donate.  I did delayed cord clamping with my youngest.  I think it's the best thing for the baby but I understand you wanting to help out a friend in need. 

butterflyblu
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

There's also no guarantee that the stem cells would even help your friend's husband as it would have to be a match or that the form of cancer would respond to a stem cell transplant.

MPWifeJessicia
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM

BUMP!

iitzshelbyd
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wagnerswifee21
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Have you researched the chances of your child even being a match? We were researching this before our son was born in Nov, and it became an even stronger thought for us when we learned a family mamber MAY be sick w something the cord blood may have been a help for (turned out she wasn't thatnks God), but when I had spoken w the bank extensively, the chances of our childs cord blood even being a possible match was EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY low, so add in the cost to bank it, we decided to do the delayed cord clamping instead (but as I mentioned, we also found out the week before son was born that family member wasn't in need, anyways). My point is, w the chances of the extended family member being so low, can you imagine what the chances for a stranger would be? Call a bank and speak w them so you are properly educated (however, just a heads up on this, they will STILL try to get you to bank, even w the low chances, so be prepeared for that). In the mean time, my thoughts and prayers for friends DH's health.

monkeysmom21006
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I know. She has another friend who is going to donate her cord blood. I just feel terrible for her! She's so young (21) and her husband is about the same age. They have a just barely turned 1 year old son...It's devastating to see what cancer does to these people.

Quoting butterflyblu:

There's also no guarantee that the stem cells would even help your friend's husband as it would have to be a match or that the form of cancer would respond to a stem cell transplant.

Idiosyncratic
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I hear now there's not much of a reason to save the cord blood for your own child...because of the reason if the child ever develops leukemia or something like that the markers will be in the stem cells too...

monkeysmom21006
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I was going to talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment, but it sounds like there's slim to no chance we'd be a match. I definitely will not be banking cord blood. I delayed the clamping/cutting with my daughter and absolutely plan to again. It's just so horrible. I feel so bad for this family.

Quoting wagnerswifee21:

Have you researched the chances of your child even being a match? We were researching this before our son was born in Nov, and it became an even stronger thought for us when we learned a family mamber MAY be sick w something the cord blood may have been a help for (turned out she wasn't thatnks God), but when I had spoken w the bank extensively, the chances of our childs cord blood even being a possible match was EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY low, so add in the cost to bank it, we decided to do the delayed cord clamping instead (but as I mentioned, we also found out the week before son was born that family member wasn't in need, anyways). My point is, w the chances of the extended family member being so low, can you imagine what the chances for a stranger would be? Call a bank and speak w them so you are properly educated (however, just a heads up on this, they will STILL try to get you to bank, even w the low chances, so be prepeared for that). In the mean time, my thoughts and prayers for friends DH's health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)