Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't feel my son talks as well as he should

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 14 months. He has said "Dada, daddy, mama, and yeah"  so far in his life. However he does not say "mama" or "yeah" every day. He only says dada or daddy every day. I try getting him to say new words but he'll either whine or say "dada or daddy" instead.

Today was a little different, I got done feeding him and I said "All done!" and he said "Done!" which really surprised me. I acted really excited and tried to get him to repeat it but to no avail.

I'm just worried that he's not talking enough. I do try to make him tell me what he wants, instead of whining, but it doesn't work. Like for instance if he wants a bite of my food he'll whine so I'll say "say Bite" but he just looks at me and like I said either says dada or continues to whine.

He was born with a birth defect called being tongue tied. It did not get surgically corrected until he was about 5 months old. I have noticed a dramatic difference, he doesn't choke anymore when he drinks, he drools less, and he can sleep on his back now wheras before he couldn't.

I am wondering if him being tongue tied had something to do with his speech delay?

Or am I just being overly worried?  I do point to things and tell him what everything is, when we go for walks I point out things and I do it around the house too.

I should add that he is very smart in other ways. He has figured out how to get past things blocking the doors since we don't have baby gates. He has figured out how to turn pop bottles and bottles of other things to dump them out. He knows what's his in the fridge (like bottles of milk or things he gets) and will reach for only them. It's just his vocabulary, I don't feel it's where it should be.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:33 PM

honestly , my daughter is 14 1.2 months old and is at the same level.

some walk and do more gross motor skills before they concetrate on the smaller skills.

I don't have a problem with my daughters speech level, ( i have speech pathologist come alot for my dd1, who is 3 and can't say mom or dad) and they said she is developmentally fine( my dd2 who is the same age as your son)

it takes time.

and yes, i know the whiney phase. SUCKS!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM

You are being overly worried. He is right on track from the sounds of it. I would not rush him. My daughter was 13 months and said two words and the rest were mumbles. Turned out she had A LOT of fluid on her ears so she got tubes. Well she now speaks better then most grown adults lmao. One day he will come out with some strangely cute sentence not ment tobe said by a 2 year old and you will be laughing at the though that you ever though there was a problem then when he gets to about 3 you will be wishing he would hush up. My daughter will be 5 in two weeks and OMG she will what is this and why are you doing that youto death.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM

i would say if you are really worried to go ahead and get him evaluated. it can't hurt either way .  i know around where i live most places do the evals for free. if he does have a delay the earlier you find out the better . hugs for you and your son . good luck :)

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Don't worry, at 14 months my son was saying big words because that's what we used all the time. He could say 'ridiculous' but everything he wanted to drink was 'mirk' and the only clear thing out of his mouth besides Reece, Daddy and Aura (Laura) was Thank you, and 'truck' (well 'fuck'). He's 3 now and he talks like me...with attitude. Poor thing.

One day you're going to ask some inane question and he's gonna wow you with a full sentence and you'll shit your pants in glee.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I think every child develops at their own pace. I thought my daughter wasn't advancing very well for her age but  she advamced just fine. She's a little chatterbox now. I've noticed that some kids do more than her and some do less. I've also noticed that are some things she has  perfected that other kids haven't touched on. For example, my daughter can put puzzles together like nothing and some kids (some even older) have a lot of trouble doing it. Just try to be patient. If his speech doesn't improve, maybe call his pediatrician to see if there is cause for concern. Good luck and what a good mommy you are!!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM

My daughter, who is now 2-years old, was born 6 weeks early and seemed to be behind in a lot of her development.  We became very concerned when we realized that her speaking was far behind those of her age.  So we decided to get a hold of our local Social Services to learn what we could do.  We discovered this program in the Riverside County Area called 'Early Start' and they will work with Lizzie (our daughter) until she is 3 on her speech.  At the age of 3 Lizzie's case will be handed over to our local school district, and she will be placed in a special program for kids that have the same issue as her. 

I would look into a similar program like ours.  Lizzie's teacher said they have these programs all over the US and they are funded by the Government, so it is free for you and your family.  It is a great program, and even though Lizzie just started she is doing well!

by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM

My DD is also 14 months old and hardly talks.  I know I hate the whinning too.  I can take loud noises , she can bang on things it doesn;t bother me at all but the whinning grates my nerves!!!  LOL  Our Pedi said she is on track and really unless there is nothing by 2 we will just wait her out.   Sometimes I think if I stop understanding her pointing so well ( she has pointed at what she wants since 7 months old) that maybe then she will have to talk.  I say the word before I get it she then nods her head yes or no but I don't think pushing her to actually say it is the way.  As PP said babies work on different skill sets at different times. 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM

It's normal. Does he do sign language? Some kids that learn sign are a little later to talk, but he is absorbing everything. His comprehension is the most important thing right now. As long as he understands you there is probably nothing to worry about. My daughter was a slow talker, she will be two this week and all of a sudden sentances started coming out of her mouth like she could speak all along. Things I tried to get her to say months ago, she just one day starts saying. You doc will tell you if and when to be concerned. :)

by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I also forgot to mention he was born 3 weeks early, although I know that is full term I have always had the feeling he was more like 4 weeks early, because I'm pretty sure I concieved later than what the doctors said.

He does have a pediatrician appointment next month. I think I'm going to bring it up then.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM

you are worrying too much about it...dd didnt talk much at that age, she is now 2 1/2 and people are surprised she talks so well...give him time, dont try to rush him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)