Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labor induction

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:07 PM
  • 61 Replies

It just came to my attention that this is something that can be done for non-medical reasons. Why would you choose to be induced if there is nothing threatning the baby or you? Is this something that is done in every state? I am just wondering, btw. I have had 3 kids and believe me, in that last month of pregancy I was ready to give birth, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to say hey, doc-get this kid out of here now! LOL. Just curious why someone would choose that option. :) 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gaugesmomma1209
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I was induced at 39 weeks. My son had been trying to come out since 26 weeks. I had been dilated 2cm for about 2 weeks but wasn't going any further, so I was induced. Gave birth to a completely healthy 5lb 14oz baby boy :)

EvaSerenity
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Quoting gaugesmomma1209:

I was induced at 39 weeks. My son had been trying to come out since 26 weeks. I had been dilated 2cm for about 2 weeks but wasn't going any further, so I was induced. Gave birth to a completely healthy 5lb 14oz baby boy :)

Wouldn't that classify as a medical reason though? And congrats on your baby! :)

lexismum03
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Some people I guess do it out of convinence. That way they can plan it. IDK why. I would never do it but people do.

Kimora_neko
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I was induced for no reason other then the doc had other plans. I was so upset. He told me that I HAD to get induced. I was 4 days past my due date. Then after DD is born the mid wife said "oh you could of waited another week. Needless to say I changed obgyns and now that offic is closed down. And DD was small. 6 lbs 12oz

cypris420
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM

With my first pregnancy, I never got to the "I can't take this anymore" phase.  I was almost a week overdue, but let nature take its course.

I asked my OB about my options at 38 weeks with my twins.  I cried in her office about how uncomfortable I was, how hard a time I was having the last month or so.  But I never said "I need these babies out now".  I knew that being in there was what was best for them.  I went into labor 4 days later and my girls were both over 7 pounds each.  No wonder I was uncomfortable!  But it was worth every second. 

momma-flynn
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I was scheduled for induction but went into labor the day before. I was 11 days overdue & dd wasnt moving much anymore so they were starting to get worried. I'm glad I didn't get induced tho. It was nice to be home for a while.

mgc_717
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM

i was induced with both of my kids. i was induced 12 days after my brother died with my daughter and then i had pregnancy induced hypertention with my son. both kids came at 37 weeks. my daughter was 6lbs 7 ozs and my little guy that was born on may 21st (of this year) was 7lbs. i could just imagin how big he would have been if i went to 40 weeks or longer.

EvaSerenity

Quoting Kimora_neko:

I was induced for no reason other then the doc had other plans. I was so upset. He told me that I HAD to get induced. I was 4 days past my due date. Then after DD is born the mid wife said "oh you could of waited another week. Needless to say I changed obgyns and now that offic is closed down. And DD was small. 6 lbs 12oz

Wow, thats messed up! I'm sorry that happened. :(

Aamy

Well i was induced because i had GD ...... and they didnt want something to go wrong and i need an Emergency C-section. But to do it just because ..... like some women who say they "are so tired of being pregnant" is just silly. 

IAmPregnant Ticker

ddhb2007
I was induced for medical reasons; however, my best friend was induced with three of her pregnancies because she was tired of being pregnant. She had a history of big babies. Her first was 10 lbs, but there was no "true" medical reason for the induction. Some doctors are more lenient about inducing than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)