Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raw veggies?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:21 PM
  • 16 Replies

When did your kids start eating raw veggies? My 14 month old recently decided he doesn't like cooked carrots anymore and its getting increasingly hard to get him to eat veggies. We bought one of those mixed vegetable platters the other night for dinner and I gave DS a baby carrot. The first thing he did was throw it, so I gave him a grape tomato, which he refused to bite into and then threw it (notice a pattern). He obviously didn't like celery either. So, for a while I just kept handing him carrots until he finally tried one. He DID like it, but he just chewed on it. There were about a million bite marks in it, but if he bit a piece off he just spit it out he wouldn't chew it up. He also sort of ate a piece of broccoli, but he only took a few bites off the top of it before he threw it. Ever since then if I hand him a carrot he'll bite the crap out of it but wont eat it. Plus, every time I'm eating carrots now, he wants one. So, he obviously likes them but I think they're too hard for him to chew. Is there any way I can cook them long enough for them to be a little bit softer, but still taste like raw carrots instead of cooked carrots? He hates cooked carrots.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mistie900
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I have trouble getting my kids to eat veggies too. I think you can boil them in water for a about 4 minutes and it will make them softer but I'm not sure....

kelliehelvie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Try making a soup, like vegetable or minestrone and straining the veggies out from there. Then they have some added flavor from the broth and other veggies! 

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I already do that, he does love soup, and he also likes vegetable stir fry.... but I don't make soup or stir fry every day and he does need to eat vegetables every day.

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Try making a soup, like vegetable or minestrone and straining the veggies out from there. Then they have some added flavor from the broth and other veggies! 

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:38 PM

my youngest is 2 1/2 and has been eating them raw for quite a while. but every child is different, he happened to do everything early, whereas my other 2 were like 3 when i first gave them raw veggies. they prefer them raw and wont touch them cooked, so raw it is lol

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:14 AM

Does he like fruit?  On the days you don't do soup or stir-fry just make sure he gets fruit.  I remember hearing that fruit is fine when your little one won't eat vegetables.

eema.gray
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:21 AM

My son started eating raw tomatoes when he was about 10 months old.  But they're quite a bit softer, lol.  

Okay, carrots.  You need to parboil them.  Parboiling, in this case, means you cook them until they are just barely tender, like you can poke a fork in a little bit but not all the way.  Then you can refrigerate several days worth and get them out as needed.

As an alternative, you could also try getting large carrots and cutting them into thin slices.  He might be able to chew on them that way.  But I'd try parboiling first.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:55 AM

try cutting the carrots into strips not a whole baby carrot. same with other veggies, cut them strip style rather than giving them to him whole.  Maybe cut the grape tomatoes in half length wise.

my DD will not eat any raw veggies but has been getting more interested in trying cooked veggies again.

OneToughMami
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:57 AM

If he prefers them cooked, then just cook them. Not all adults eat raw veggies so he's not really eating wrong. There's some veggies I won't eat raw and some I won't eat cooked. It's just a food preference.

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM

Thats my point though, he's getting less and less interested in cooked veggies. Not to mention, he barely eats as it is. So, getting anything in him, especially foods he's deciding he doesn't like is becoming more of a challenge.

Quoting OneToughMami:

If he prefers them cooked, then just cook them. Not all adults eat raw veggies so he's not really eating wrong. There's some veggies I won't eat raw and some I won't eat cooked. It's just a food preference.

dsptchmommy
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:53 AM

My kids hate veggies period. Doesn't matter how they are prepared.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)