Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice is needed immediately! Update in blue. Second Update in Red.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM
  • 31 Replies

I've had a toothache for almost 3 days. The right side of my jaw is swelled 3 times its original size. I've tried clove oil, ibuprofen, and muscle relaxers(they are prescribed) and nothing's working. I know it's abscess  because of the pain and how bad it's swelled. I was just told that if I am running a fever, the infection could spread to my brain. I have been so hot since last night and it's not going away....I'm not sure if I have a fever. What I want to know, is if this could be dangerous and if I need to go to the doctor about it. We have insurance but it only covers half of extractions so we can't afford for me to get them pulled right now. An emergency room visit is a $300 charge so I want some advice before I go. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The past few hours, I've had a boil develope on my gums in the back on the bottom right hand side of my mouth. I popped some of it a little while ago and while my teeth feels a little better, they are still aching a little bit. In a bit, I'm going to try to pop the rest of it. I have been faithfully gargling with salt water frequently to keep me from swallowing whatever is coming out of it and to keep the pain at bay. I will be going to the doctor about it soon and maybe to the dentist as well. I will update again when I can. Thanks to all for the advice.

I went to the doctor's office this morning and they gave me a very strong antibiotic to take for the infection and hydrocodone for the pain. They told me that my face is so swelled that I'm only taking in and breathing out half of the air I'm supposed to. They also told me that if I swell anymore, it could block off my air completely. I am getting the teeth pulled but have to wait until the infection clears up. If I don't swell, in about 2 days, the antibiotic should take effect and start to work.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angie729
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I would go to urgent care or call your dr and see if he can call you in an antibodic. An abcess is nothing to play with. Hope you feel better soon.

key2ynot
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Yes, an abcessed tooth can be dangerous.  If it's that swollen and painful it could be infected.

At the very least you need to start on an antibiotic immediately.  Is there a clinic somewhere you can go to right now or can you get in to see your regular dr?

mamaraylene
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Regular doctors around here don't open until tomorrow...we live in a very small town so I would have to wait until tomorrow.

chiamom123
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:38 PM

yes you need something done about it, don't play around with mouth infections bad things can happen.

angie729
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Call your dr office...they should have an answering service and a dr on call. Try crushing an aspirn up and rubbing it on the tooth and swollen part.

Chrystal_A
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Go to urgent care or walgreens take care clinic,if you have the money (otherwise urgent care will bill you-walgreens will not) and tell them the WHOLE situation,they will get you something for pain and an antibiotic which should reduce swelling.If you went to the dentist today they wouldnt touch you because the swelling-they would just give you antibiotics.

vintage_pearl4
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Yes, it is dangerous and if nothing else you should go to the ER right now.  I had something similar happen to me when my wisdom teeth were impacted and I got an infection that made my face swell huge.  I went to the ER and they gave me a shot of antibiotics and it took several weeks of strong antibiotics just to take the swelling down enough for the dentist to open my mouth. 

Don't wait like I did.

kanalee
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I would go to the emergency room... and  have them bill you. You then can make payments.

mamaraylene
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Quoting angie729:

Call your dr office...they should have an answering service and a dr on call. Try crushing an aspirn up and rubbing it on the tooth and swollen part.

Would you believe this crap? I'm allergic to aspirin. I did, however, let a tylenol dissolve on the tooth...I got nothing.

allurasmamma
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM

All you really need is some antibiotics. And another thing. Swoosh salt water around the bad tooth. This also pulls infection out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)