Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single moms...

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM
  • 27 Replies

Is it hard being a single mom? Is it any different than when you were with your SO/DH? Does the ex ever help you with your kid(s)?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lostandfound34
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM

when I was a single mom yes it was very hard. And No the ex didnt help out at all

SweetIrony

I haven't been a single mom for four years, but when I was I didn't find it hard. I found it to be easier than dealing with a man. DD and I did what we wanted, when we wanted, how we wanted. Its was just the girls! Now we have SO, and we both love him to death... we had to make changes in our lives to suit him and vise versa but its worth it even if its more work with him. DD BD is more or less a deadbeat. He just started paying his CS this year (shes six) and his visits though regular now where wishy-washy.

CoastieWifePR

I am not a single mom but my respect to those of you who are. bow down My sister was one to 3 kids so I know imagine how hard it is.

Jaydons_mommy09
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM

It is easier than dealing with a man.

I am happier

mama_2_jasper
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I am not a single mom, but my best friend is. I would say it's WAY hard! Her ex doesn't help with anything except having his mom and dad watch her on the weekends. Which is pretty cool though, I wouldn't mind having weekends off! lol

a_and_j_momma
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I think it's as hard as you make it. I don't find it hard. We have a routine and it's just something I'm used to. It's easier not having to deal with the conflict honestly. My rules are my rules in my house. It's harder to do simple stuff like run to the store but it's not that big of a deal.

jucyfrut
by LITTLE BIT on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

That's exactly what I loved about being a single mom.  In my own house, I could do what I wanted....didn't need to ask for any kind of approval!!  Also, didn't need to discuss whatever it was that I wanted to do!!

You just learn to do what you gotta do....then you do it.  You will find a routine that works for you and your child(ren). 

I live with my SO now, and it's still great, because we get along so well and we have the same taste with just about everything. 

Quoting SweetIrony:

I haven't been a single mom for four years, but when I was I didn't find it hard. I found it to be easier than dealing with a man. DD and I did what we wanted, when we wanted, how we wanted. Its was just the girls! Now we have SO, and we both love him to death... we had to make changes in our lives to suit him and vise versa but its worth it even if its more work with him. DD BD is more or less a deadbeat. He just started paying his CS this year (shes six) and his visits though regular now where wishy-washy.

While you were too busy being so judgemental of others, you forgot to lock your closet door~~and all the skeletons fell out!!  OOPS!!

pyrateprincess
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

It can be hard sometimes...But i am able to have some me time when my dd's father takes her. I wouldn't get that if i were married. lolBeing married to her father would have been horrible. I would have been a single mom eventually. Probably would have divorced him in moths after the wedding i'm sure. He helps..finally pays child support and is paying for her soccer camp this year. Now that he actually has a job he's able to make up for all the shit he didn't do for her. although he's paying the minimum amount of child support. what he was paying without his job. it needs to be upped to at least what he was paying before which was 275.00 oposed to the 150.00 i'm getting right now.

snowmommy0406
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

My ex didn't help with the kids at all when we were together, and not only did i have to cook, clean, and take care of my kids but him as well, plus i had to put up with his bull crap and he used to fight me on everything.  Now that I am a single mom it is actually a bit easier, because i no longer have to fight with him or clean up after his lazy butt, i did have to go back to work and chose to go to school too and my parents babysit my kids while i work now, but all in all still better, i just wish my ex would pay his dang child support (he is over $5000 behind) and no he hasn't seen the kids since he walked out 3 years ago.

SweetIrony
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Glad to hear you have an SO in your lives that makes things nice! Its great being a single mom, but its also great having your soul mate, huh? I really think.. if God forbide, knock on wood.. something happed to SO, I would stay single. I LOVE SO but I liked it just DD and I, too.

Quoting jucyfrut:

That's exactly what I loved about being a single mom.  In my own house, I could do what I wanted....didn't need to ask for any kind of approval!!  Also, didn't need to discuss whatever it was that I wanted to do!!

You just learn to do what you gotta do....then you do it.  You will find a routine that works for you and your child(ren). 

I live with my SO now, and it's still great, because we get along so well and we have the same taste with just about everything. 

Quoting SweetIrony:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)