Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

migraines....

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have had a migraine for two days...nothing was helping so I finally took some of my left over vicodin from when I had surgery last month... it had dulled it to a bad headache... but now it's back to an actual migraine...

I rarely get migraines... and when I do they have never lasted this long. Any advice on how to get rid of it? Does anybody actually know what causes a migraine?

I'm Aubree (or Bree), I'm a 22 year old, formula feeding, non-circumcising,  non-vaccinating, occasionally co-sleeping, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, forward faced at 1, brutally honest, thinks children can call their step-parent "mommy" or "daddy" if that's what they choose, wife to Andy since 04/07, mommy to Delilah Renee since 12/07, Mommy to Elliot Jay since 08/09, and step-mommy to Brookelyn Lucille (born 09/05).

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tyra618
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM

If it has stayed more then 24 hours it's most likely not a migraine (I suffer from them).   Have you been sneezing.  Do you have a stuffy nose.  Or post nasal drip.  If so your probably working on a sinus infection.  

What works for me is no meds.  A cool, dark, super silent room.  (not possible for moms unless daddy or SO is awesome).  If you have vicks vapor rub.  Put some on your forehead and lay down.  Good luck.   

orcadarwin
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I use an ice pack on a spot that hurts the worst on my head when I get a migraine.  I lay down in the dark and quiet with the ice pack on my head, and it helps.

LilahandElliot
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM

sorry so long for a reply... I went to lay down. 
Anyway... yea I've had it for 2 days - nothing really seems to make it better over the long term. Other than the migraine I'm not sick or anything. 

jbbrom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Quoting LilahandElliot:

sorry so long for a reply... I went to lay down. 
Anyway... yea I've had it for 2 days - nothing really seems to make it better over the long term. Other than the migraine I'm not sick or anything. 

does your neck feel tense? whenever I get one getting my neck adjusted is the only thing that helps! it is instant relief, then whatever meds i've taken though make me feel really loopey!!

aarensmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

could just be tension, i get them when my neck is all stiff...but i also get migranes, and during my pregnancy i couldnt take "meds" so i went to the neurologist and she put me on Magnesium (400mg) and b12 (400mg) and when i started that they went away....

MelissaKelley
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I'm thinking it might possibly be a sinus infection, too.  Tylenol sinus works very well for me and others that took it out of my drawer at work!  lol.  Besides a migraine, do your ears feel plugged?  That's another indication for me it's a sinus infection.  Sorry I don't have any other magical words of advise.  Hope it goes away soon :)

Nikki286
by Nicoli on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

ive never had a migraine last longer then a day ... i've had them since i was in the third grade and tylenol and all that doesnt work anymore i have replax ( prescription drug) its like amuscle relazer atleast thats what my doc said.. but before in order to get rid of a migraine i would have to sleep so i would force myself to lay down and go to bed even if it was like 8 am 

tyra618
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

OOOO and here is a trick that sometimes helps.   Is it straight across your forehead or just on the right or left side.   Say it's a left side migraine.  Take your right hand.  Between your thumb and forefinger.  (the meaty part) either you or SO/Hubby press really hard with finger and thumb.  There is a pressure point.  Have to press really hard.   And vice verse if it's a right side migraine use your left hand.   After my car accident my physical therapist did this for headaches and it worked.  You have to press really hard and sometimes more then once.  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)