Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To those who believe in science only....

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM
  • 37 Replies

I've seen so many replies on here about how some believe that there is nothing other than science to explain life and I found this exert from one of my college courses (developmental psychology) interesting and wanted to hear their thoughts on it!

"First, and most important, develpmental study is a science. It depends on theories, data, analysis, critical thinking, and sound methodology, just like every other science does. The goal is to understand "how and why," to discover the processes of develpment and the reasons for it. As scientists, we ask questions and seek answers. Science cannot decide the purpose of life; we need philosophy or religion for that." - The developing person through the life span by Kathleen Berger

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetIrony
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:11 PM

If theres a purpose for life, and there may very well not be, then science can find it.

Susan0805
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM

wait, so you beliee there is no purpose in life? I dont understand your reply...lol.

Quoting SweetIrony:

If theres a purpose for life, and there may very well not be, then science can find it.

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Why does there need to be a "purpose" for life?  Why can't we just enjoy life while we are living?

Susan0805
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

This life is hard sometimes. I cant imagine going through trials for no reason or purpose.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Why does there need to be a "purpose" for life?  Why can't we just enjoy life while we are living?

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Quoting Susan0805:

This life is hard sometimes. I cant imagine going through trials for no reason or purpose.

Quoting wickedfiress:

*shrug* I don't need a "reason" to live, I just live.

Why not MAKE a purpose for your life instead of searching elsewhere for it?

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I agree.

Quoting wickedfiress:

boobaliscious
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I think everyone has a different purpose for life and it is for whatever they choose it to be, I don't think that there has to be some overall, grand scheme of things purpose. My purpose in life is to be happy and raise a good family, because that is what I WANT. Has nothing to do with religion.

jessigarrett
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

in my beliefs the purpose of life is death cause no matter what we do in our life time ulitmately we will die every last one of us not matter what we believe in

Mommavieve
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM
The meaning of life is math. M is the 13th letter of the alphabet. A, the 1st. T, the 20th. And H is the 8th.13+1+20+8=42
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitxrawks
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:43 PM

We're the only species that we know of that has evolved to the point of comprehending our existence. Other animals (as far as we know) just go along their merry ways. We stand alone (literally) in our ability to think beyond our world.

Why should there HAVE to be a point to it all? We're the first ones to even begin to think that there could be a point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)