Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swimming pools

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 15  foot x 42 inch intex swimming pool. I have a salt filter, and it makes its own chlorine, and i guess you shouldn't have to add any other chemicals, just salt. Well it was kinda turning green the day after i got it set up. I  had to run the regular filter alone for 24 hours before turning on the salt filter. By the time the 24 hours was up, the water was greenish. So i have been running the salt filter 2x a day for 5 hours for the last 3 days and it is finally clear again. Supposed to run it once a day for 3 hours. Well i tested the water today and the chlorine is to high at  10 when it should be  from 1-3, the PH was ok at 7.6, but the alkalinity is 0 when it should be between 120-150. What can/do i use to raise it, and i also need to lower the chlorine. This is the first time we have had a bigger pool, and i have read the manuals for both filters and cant find what to do in either.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crashly
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:33 AM

I have no idea, but here's a BUMP.  I hope you get it fixed!

floating in pool

kelliehelvie
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Call your pool center tomorrow!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:02 AM

BUMP!

hfs1998
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:06 AM

I'm not sure.  We have a similar pool and this is our first year with a salt filter.  I'll ask DH tomorrow, he has his PhD in chemistry so he enjoys fiddling with the pool stuff.

lbdm2002
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:20 AM

baking soda.  (sodium bicarbonate to be exact..but baking soda is the same thing)

Cressida
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Quoting hfs1998:

I'm not sure.  We have a similar pool and this is our first year with a salt filter.  I'll ask DH tomorrow, he has his PhD in chemistry so he enjoys fiddling with the pool stuff.

Thanks!

My brother and Mason

Italy Bound Until 08/2011

oboe_chik
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM

LOL U just confused the crap out of me. We have a pool with just a regular pump and break the tablets that the pool center gave us and put in the filter and thats all we are supposed to have to do and have never had a problem lol.

Did you or are you working full time, juggling kids, a career and who knows what else? If so click on the picture to share your stories!

hlewis
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:54 PM

omg pools are such a mess, i hear ya!  here's a bump for you!!

Cressida
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Quoting oboe_chik:

LOL U just confused the crap out of me. We have a pool with just a regular pump and break the tablets that the pool center gave us and put in the filter and thats all we are supposed to have to do and have never had a problem lol.

We dont have a pool center or any place like that. I got the salt filter because i guess it is supposed to be easier. From what i understand you should not have to add any chemicals, just salt. The salt turns into chlorine when it passes through the salt filter. Im not all to sure about it yet as it is the first year i have had a big pool, and throwing in this new filter with it has been pretty confusing to me also lol. Last year i had on of those little 8 foot by 2 foot pools i think it was and i just had to add a cup of bleach every day and it was fine...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)