Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you trust your child's school BLINDLY??

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM
  • 13 Replies
If your preschooler(4,5 yrs) wouldn't recite his numbers/letters/ colors for you or in front of you, or got them wrong for you, would you trust the preschool when they assure you that he/ she passed his evaluation?

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't. JMO. I don't think it's completely someone else's job to make sure my children are learning. This is how kids end up somehow never learning to read. Believe me, that happens!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Nope its my child so I am always checking up!!!

anetrnlov
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

LOL, hell no.

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I do home schooling with my four year old she been doing "homework" since she first turned three I think I even had her doing some late two. Now she wont stop asking if she can do homework, so I finally sent her to preschool.... Sad I know but geez.... LOL

poshkat
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

nope. its my job to make sure he does that.

-xoxo-
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I don't trust my dd's school with anything to be honest with you. I used to worry about being "that" mom until the day they had an emergency 1/2 snow day and they sent my daughter to her dad's LOCKED and EMPTY house without a phone call or anything. My poor baby had to stand out in the freezing cold all alone until someone came home and found her there. That school is on my shit list big time!! 

slm047
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I teach my daughter these things myself so I KNOW they are learned.

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:06 PM
That is so awful!

Quoting -xoxo-:

I don't trust my dd's school with anything to be honest with you. I used to worry about being "that" mom until the day they had an emergency 1/2 snow day and they sent my daughter to her dad's LOCKED and EMPTY house without a phone call or anything. My poor baby had to stand out in the freezing cold all alone until someone came home and found her there. That school is on my shit list big time!! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Suzy_Sunshine
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Well.... I guess not but the again I would never send him to a preschool that I doubted in any way. In exchange for considerable tuition, we received extensive reports from our preschool including lots of metrics, concrete examples of progress and also many anecdotes. 

But to your point, no it is never OK to just assume that the school is teaching and measuring effectively. I used to think that people who didn't know where their child was academically never spent any time with their children. I've since realized that there are people who honestly don't ask their child any questions or do anything with them academically. Also I've learned that in this day and age there are still people who don't read with their children - they may read to them but they don't put in the effort to have their child read to them. At any rate, if they can't be bothered, then it is a little bit annoying that schools are expected to make the effort to drag those children over the competence line, particularly when it takes away from the rest of the class.

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM
Very well said.

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

Well.... I guess not but the again I would never send him to a preschool that I doubted in any way. In exchange for considerable tuition, we received extensive reports from our preschool including lots of metrics, concrete examples of progress and also many anecdotes. 

But to your point, no it is never OK to just assume that the school is teaching and measuring effectively. I used to think that people who didn't know where their child was academically never spent any time with their children. I've since realized that there are people who honestly don't ask their child any questions or do anything with them academically. Also I've learned that in this day and age there are still people who don't read with their children - they may read to them but they don't put in the effort to have their child read to them. At any rate, if they can't be bothered, then it is a little bit annoying that schools are expected to make the effort to drag those children over the competence line, particularly when it takes away from the rest of the class.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM
No. I wouldn't trust them. My daughter's school send home everything she works on, so we can see how her drawing / writing skills are advancing. We also have her draw at home, so we know they're sending home her work. We read to her, and ask about letters on the page. She doesn't like to count, so I have to bribe her. I'll get out m & m's, and I'll let her eat as many as she can count.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)