Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For Christians Only....okay...and curious Athiests too......

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM
  • 52 Replies

I have often wondered what made you decide you were a christian.  I am interested from a curiosity standpoint and would like to know if you were raised that way or if you just decided later in life you believe.  If you give me an answer, I may have another question for you.  If so, please don't get defensive.  I am only maintaining a conversational tone and any questions would be purely for more information. 

Oh and for the Athiests....please don't use this post to bash believers.  I am not looking to judge them. 

Thanks.

and extra thanks to Wendymomof4 :)

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Only responding because I would like to watch this post....GL OP

NickiNavarro
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:02 PM

BUMP!

depsiua
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I was raised Catholic.  I don't think I'm technically Christian anymore, I'm more of a Deist.  I believe there is some sort of higher power that created our world, made all the rules (physical, chemical, biological, etc.) and set everything in motion.  I don't believe that He/She/It interferes with those rules.

NickiNavarro
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Quoting depsiua:

I was raised Catholic.  I don't think I'm technically Christian anymore, I'm more of a Deist.  I believe there is some sort of higher power that created our world, made all the rules (physical, chemical, biological, etc.) and set everything in motion.  I don't believe that He/She/It interferes with those rules.

LOL I want real Christians! LOL just kidding. I'm just curious about people who are devoted to the bible in one way or the other.

lilywitch
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Giving you a bump. I am actually curious, too. Come on Christian mamas!

Mommavieve
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM
I'm curious too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2theboy1994
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

BUMP!

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

God came to me when I needed him most but yet had least faith he existed.

Daemons_mommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Ok, I'll bite :)

I wasn't a Christian growing up. I never went to Church and the most I knew about Jesus was the song "Jesus Loves me". When I was 13 my mom started going to church and I went along. I never really got into it and felt kind of weird everytime I went to church. My dad eventually went to. He was diagnosed with cancer a short time later and died when I was 17. I had a person at the church tell me that if I didn't start believing in Jesus, I wasn't going to see my father ever again because I would be in hell. I was done with that church, those people, God, and everything to do with that damn religion!

Years passed and I started feeling like I needed something. I started researching religions. I started with Wicca but I knew it wasn't for me. I went to college and took comparative religions, eastern religions, etc. Basically every religious class they offered I took. The more I searched and told myself that Christianity wasn't for me, the more I was drawn to it.

I finally accepted Jesus in late 2008. I've had a hard struggle with it. For awhile the only Christians I had besides me mom were people here on Cafemom. I saw such hatred spewing from other 'Christian' women on here that it really shook me almost out of my faith. How could I be a part of a religion that had people like that?

Then I realized that being a Christian is having a relationship with God and Jesus. They are the most important. I didn't need to seek out people to fellowship with, if I was patient the right people would come to me. And they have.

Nowadays, God has been convicting me to go beyond myself and what I thought I was. He is challenging me and I am meeting those challenges. Every once in a while I still have a few doubts that I'm on the wrong path or I'm crazy talking to the sky but those doubts are becoming fewer and fewer. I am becoming more of the person that I always wanted to be but never thought I could. And now I like me and if it's all me (while being crazy talking to the sky) or if it's help from God, I'm grateful.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
anetrnlov
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Awesome story.

Quoting Daemons_mommy:

Ok, I'll bite :)

I wasn't a Christian growing up. I never went to Church and the most I knew about Jesus was the song "Jesus Loves me". When I was 13 my mom started going to church and I went along. I never really got into it and felt kind of weird everytime I went to church. My dad eventually went to. He was diagnosed with cancer a short time later and died when I was 17. I had a person at the church tell me that if I didn't start believing in Jesus, I wasn't going to see my father ever again because I would be in hell. I was done with that church, those people, God, and everything to do with that damn religion!

Years passed and I started feeling like I needed something. I started researching religions. I started with Wicca but I knew it wasn't for me. I went to college and took comparative religions, eastern religions, etc. Basically every religious class they offered I took. The more I searched and told myself that Christianity wasn't for me, the more I was drawn to it.

I finally accepted Jesus in late 2008. I've had a hard struggle with it. For awhile the only Christians I had besides me mom were people here on Cafemom. I saw such hatred spewing from other 'Christian' women on here that it really shook me almost out of my faith. How could I be a part of a religion that had people like that?

Then I realized that being a Christian is having a relationship with God and Jesus. They are the most important. I didn't need to seek out people to fellowship with, if I was patient the right people would come to me. And they have.

Nowadays, God has been convicting me to go beyond myself and what I thought I was. He is challenging me and I am meeting those challenges. Every once in a while I still have a few doubts that I'm on the wrong path or I'm crazy talking to the sky but those doubts are becoming fewer and fewer. I am becoming more of the person that I always wanted to be but never thought I could. And now I like me and if it's all me (while being crazy talking to the sky) or if it's help from God, I'm grateful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)