Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok, so now it's starting to hurt :(

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM
  • 22 Replies

I went to the Dentist back in March and it was discovered that I had a nasty cavity on my wisdom tooth. We decided not to do anything about it at the time because I was 5 mos preggo and I pay out of pocket. I will be having it extracted after the baby is born (I'm 34 weeks).

Slowly, my tooth has been eroding. Every couple months tiny chunks fall off, and now it's starting to hurt! The rough edges are wearing away at my cheek and it doesn't help that I grind my teeth in my sleep. My cheek has a raw spot.

What is it with me needing dental surgery after I have kids? lol After DD was born I needed a root canal done on a baby tooth (there is no adult tooth to take it's place, something that runs in my family). Now I get to have more after this baby :(

The world is absurd, and beautiful, and small.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gaugesmomma1209
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I got a tooth pulled when I was pregnant. You can call your OB and ask them what the dentists can and can't give you. They will tell you everything you need to know.

elly25
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I still have two baby teeth and I need them pulled. I just can't afford it and I can't take time off to get it done either. It really hurts too. I can't eat on my left side and I haven't for a few years. Because of a cavity on that side. I pay out of pocket too.

So the only time that I see a dentice is when my son is getting his check up every six months and it's not for me.

CharityTipton
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM

i went through the same thing. but mine was the wisdom teeth would try to come in and my gum would swell over it and i could not eat and stay in pain. here is what i did. i was about 4 months preg and my obgyn contacted a dentist that would pull all four wisdom teeth and they used local annesthetic. I didn't feel a thing and felt better after the teeth were gone. have not had any probs since. my daughter was born full term and perfectly healthy.

runner-mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Quoting gaugesmomma1209:

I got a tooth pulled when I was pregnant. You can call your OB and ask them what the dentists can and can't give you. They will tell you everything you need to know.

I had a tooth pulled at 38 weeks with my oldest.  I was allowed novicane but that's it.  They put enough in there that it didn't hurt. Secretly I was hoping it would have put me into labor (the dentist was so worried!) but alas, it did not!    If it's REALLY bothering you, you should bring it up with the doctor. A possible infection could be bad for the baby if it gets into your blood stream :(

Run Like a MOM!!                 my blog                        join us at dailymile!

KandiceN
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I had a root canal when pregnant with my first, and a crown after my 2nd! I blame the kids. lol

Jonathan101909
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Im sorry hun :( I feel you're pain. Half my tooth fell off before he was born and I could do anything about it. hang in there! Take some tylenol before bed and that should help. Proper dose of course.

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM

ive always had problems with my wisdom teeth, since i was about 12...they would hurt and act like they were coming in, then go away. when i was pregnant with my son, the dentist said i needed them all out (i was 17) but wouldnt do it while i was pregnant. after i had him i could never afford a dentist, so here i am at 25, with the 2 bottom ones in and broken off, and the top right one threatening to come in now.

hate them.

epoh
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I'm not going to have a tooth pulled during pregnancy, but thanks for the suggestion :) I'd much rather wait a few more weeks before I get this taken care of.

It is nice to know I'm not the only one with teeth that need fixing :/

nebraskamomto2
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Dental issues during pregnancy are very common.  It stinks, but for those of you that have to pay....I'd look for a dentist that accepts payments.  My last root canal cost me over $500!

Tea4Tas
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Quoting epoh:

I'm not going to have a tooth pulled during pregnancy, but thanks for the suggestion :) I'd much rather wait a few more weeks before I get this taken care of.

It is nice to know I'm not the only one with teeth that need fixing :/

Go online and google orthodontic wax. It's cheap and can be used to cover the tooth to avoid the sore gum.

Amazion sells it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)