Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waitresses Who Smoke...

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM
  • 132 Replies

You are not fooling your tables when you disappear from the section for a good 5-10 minutes, come back smelling like smoke and tell them, "Oh, I got tied up in the kitchen!" 

DH and I went to Cracker Barrel this morning hoping for a good breakfast.  We waited a good 30 minutes for our table, but it's Cracker Barrel, so that was expected.  When we finally were seated, it was in the corner, against the wall, and the people at the table behind ours were very large.  My chest was literally on the table I had to sit so close.  I realize these things are not the waitress's fault, by the way, just saying, we were already not so happy.  When she came to the table she dropped something, which hit the floor by my foot.  I assumed it was a pen, so I picked it up for her.  It was her lighter.  She took it from me and said, "Oh thanks, I'm not sure how that got in there!"  This really wasn't necessary; I don't care that she smokes, she was in her 40's.  In any case, when the food came out, my DH had three huge pancakes and a small vial of syrup so it wasn't enough.  We started keeping an eye out for her to ask for more, plus are glasses were empty.  She did not come out of the kitchen area for close to 15 minutes.  When she did, of course all of her tables needed something by that point, and we were just ready to go.  She came to the table and said, "Oh, so sorry about that, I got tied up in the kitchen."  I was a waitress in three different restaurants when I was a teenager, and I never remember having any business in the kitchen; the kitchen was the cooks' domain and they didn't want us back there at all.  I could see if she had to refill something and go in a stock closet somewhere, but 15 minutes?  I told my DH that if I ran a restaurant I would not hire waitresses who smoked.  It is inevitable that they are going to leave a table unattended to go smoke at some point, and they usually come by smelling like smoke.  It's not even a big deal if there is a lull; one of the steakhouses I worked out hardly got any business between meals and for lunch, so smoking when you have one or two tables is okay, but at Cracker Barrel during breakfast time when you have 5 tables?  She then somehow worked into the coversation how she had been rear-ended on the way to work that day and just wasn't "thinking straight".  So, long story short, bad experience at the CB this morning, and if you're a waitress who smokes, anyone who's worked in a restaurant knows where you disappeared to for 10 minutes, so don't try to make up a story about it!  That is all.

"Men set no value on cheap merchandise, a truth all women know if they are wise." - Geoffrey Chaucer
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marie85
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I wonder why it took her so long to smoke. I couldn't make mine last even 5 minutes if I tried. 

MaMa2Azriel
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM

No clue.  But we had completely finished our meals by the time she came out.  DH just ate his pancakes dry until he couldn't anymore w/out something to drink.

Quoting marie85:

I wonder why it took her so long to smoke. I couldn't make mine last even 5 minutes if I tried. 

"Men set no value on cheap merchandise, a truth all women know if they are wise." - Geoffrey Chaucer
minimiontop
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM

My sister smokes. Inside her house. While she's cooking dinner. *gag*

christina0607
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM

She may very well have been doing somehtig in the kitchen, or on the line after she had her cigarrette. I don't smoke, but I do understand how difficult it is to work 10hour days without a break.

What if she had had to pee, would you have been just as upset?

MaMa2Azriel
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Really even the whole aspect of it being around my food doesn't even bother me.  Both of my parents smoked while I was growing up, so the smell doesn't bother me and I'm not one of these people who thinks it's totally nasty.  I just don't think when you are on the clock in a job where you can't have someone else cover for you or get a "break", you shouldn't be taking smoke breaks.  Anyone who's been in a Cracker Barrel knows how busy they are; there's no time for smoking if you work in one of those.

Quoting minimiontop:

My sister smokes. Inside her house. While she's cooking dinner. *gag*

MaMa2Azriel
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Honestly, she was gone a very long time.  I doubt she was peeing but I guess it's possible.  Whether she was smoking or not (I assume that b/c she felt the need to act as if her lighter was not her's and to make an excuse for why she was gone so long after knowing I'd seen her lighter) she was gone way too long.  And I have waited tables I know it is tiring and not easy.

Quoting christina0607:

She may very well have been doing somehtig in the kitchen, or on the line after she had her cigarrette. I don't smoke, but I do understand how difficult it is to work 10hour days without a break.

What if she had had to pee, would you have been just as upset?

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

The last thing I want to smell when my food is dropped off is cigarette smoke.  It turns my stomach.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

hautemama83
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Quoting marie85:

LOL I know right?

dirtroads
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I used to be a server (I absolutely hate the term waitress) and I don't smoke. I worked at a very busy sea food restaurant on the beach a few summers back. The ONLY way you get a break is if you're a smoker, which I never thought was fair.

I used to hate it because the serving smokers would say "keep and eye on my table..." I never did because it was THEIR choice to smoke and not my responsibility to worry about their customer.

I worked evening shift, so I actually became pretty popular with the regulars for the simple fact that I didn't come back to the table reeking of cigarette smoke.

I will say this, if we have a server who smokes, despite how well their service is We'll only leave 15%. We're 20%+ tippers, so this is a big deal to us.

EvaSerenity
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I understand the point of your story, and while I agree she was probably out back smoking and bsing with coworkers, I had to comment on the kitchen thing. I have worked a couple of waitressing jobs where I really did have to do things in the kitchen. One job in particular where the kitchen stuff really took time away from my tables. I have also been a cook at a few places, and the waitresses were needed for different things in the kitchen from time to time to tend to their work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)