Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A vehicle for a beginner...help

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just took my first half of Drivers Ed.  Yep, way late in the game, but I finally took that step and am halfway through.  I passed the behind the wheel part of the test and am just waiting to take the written at the end of the week.

My question is, what type of car would be a good idea to start with?  I practiced in the test car which was low to the ground and compact enough to fit in a parking space.  I was aiming for a station wagon...low to the ground where I can see the parking lines in the mirrors...because I've got four kids I'll have to seat in the vehicle.  We won't be keeping the vehicle forever since we're only stationed here for a few years.  We have a minivan waiting for us back in the states.  Hubby thinks I should get a minivan while here so I can get adjusted and use to driving a minivan so once we get back stateside, I can already know how it feels to be up that high, in that sized vehicle.  I really don't know.  Granted, for all I know, I don't pass the written and not get my license and picking out a vehicle is not even relevant till the very end.  But I would like to have an idea.  I haven't been driving for very long and still don't know much about any vehicle, but for a new beginner...a new driver, what would you consider easier...a low to the ground car or a sizable vehicle that resembles a vehicle I'd have to get use to later on?  Or better yet...station wagon or mini van (low or high)???

Any advice on a starter vehicle would be great too.  Thanks for your input.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
luv_my_xiya
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM

never heard of a starter vehicle lol...but i know i love driving my fiances avalanche (its a pickup/suv)....not sure if you should start off with something like that though....a minivan might be cool because you can learn how to drive and park something bigger so that when you drive a car it will be a lot easier

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:21 AM

I learned to drive in a minivan.......You'd probably be more confident in a smaller car if that's what you're used to...but, it's not really feasible with 4 kids. I'm not even sure they'd all fit in a station wagon legally, unless one is old enough to sit up front in the middle....

Imortlmommy
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:00 AM

BUMP!

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:04 AM

I would suggest a small compact car. I have a ford focus. I love it because it is low to the ground, but I can raise the seat up so I can see over the hood easier (Im short). Mine is only a 2 door, but they do come in 4 doors. They also have them in station wagon version I think. We also have a Ford Fusion, thats not a bad car either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)