Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? for the military wives * edit on page 2 *

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM
  • 51 Replies

So what made your husbands or s/o decide to join?

How hard was it to move away from friends and family ?

How long did it take  for the whole moving process?

Whats life like on a military base ?

My husbands thinking about joining the marines and Im all for it except I dont know how I could deal with a deployment.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JBDslittlemam08
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM

My husband was already in the military when I met him. He joined because he truly wanted to serve. It was pretty hard moving but you adjust pretty well.

Whole moving process usually takes as long as it takes for him to get his orders and get housing going.

Life on base is very to the T. Base housing typically sucks!

mrs.phillips123
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:30 PM

He joined bc he was 19 and needed a little more direction and stability.... and money lol

I havent had to move away from friends and family yet, we are transferring next month tho and i can tell ya now... its gonna suck! i met him after he was already enlisted.

weve already started packing and arent due to report til the end of july

havent lived on base, we will be living in housing this time which is a first for me. im getting a dead bolt lol

jltplk25
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:31 PM

My husband was already AD when we met/married. He joined b/c it was something he'd always wanted to do.

It was kind of hard to leave family/friends, but b/c of drama between my mother and I it was actually for the best. :)

The first time I moved it was a pain in the butt. I had to move my stuff from two different houses. I had some stuff at my house and some stuff at my cousin's where I had been living.

Life on a military base is pretty much like living any where else. The only thing is, you have something in common with all your neighbors.

I was fortunate and never had to deal with deployments. The only thing I had to deal with was him being out in the field for two weeks at a time. It was harder on our son than me until he adjusted. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

chais_wifey
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM
Honestly, hubby joined for lack of anything better to do with his life.

It's difficult to be away from family but nice to live in different places.

I'm not sure what you mean by moving process. The actual move depends on how far the two bases are. Our first move took a day while the second took a few days.

Lifes is pretty good on a military base, I'm just paranoid of getting tickets cuz I have a very heavy foot.

Deployments aren't easy. But you do what you gotta do. You would be surprised of what you are capable of when you don't have a choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandafox

My husband joined the Marines right out of high school. So we were young through that and it was hard... and it was really hard on me to move from friends and family because I was so young...it took me a long time to consider this place home...but now, when I go back to visit, I can't wait to come back! LOL. We live off base, so I can't help there. But I can tell you that you will meet a lot of amazing new people. I have made friends that I feel closer to than any of the friends I made in HS. And they are scattered all over the country now, so I have places to visit! :) Deployments are hard, I'm not even going to sugar coat that. But you do what you have to to make things work for your family. I know it has made me a lot stronger and a lot more resposible. And who else can say they get to have their "first kiss" over and over again! Homecomings make it all worth it in the end! :)

CAarmywife

my husband was already in but he joined because he thought it would be like gi joe the cartoon....and im serious lol.
it was hard to move away from friends and family. i moved to his country when our dd was 1 so she had really only known my parents has her parents so it was sad to see her so far away from them. he visits his 1 a year, i go 1 a year and i stay for over a month because i get homesick now.

for the moving process, i had been in the country for 1.5 years and we had moved to 4 different states all across the country. moving process isnt long at all. luckily u can have people pack ur stuff and move it for u but that is still a biotch because those people sometimes dont give a crap about ur things and damage it, lose it, deliver it to the wrong level of ur house, etc. i was 35 weeks pregnant during a move across country and to get our things delivered to our house (which we got in 1 day) was supposed to take 3 weeks! luckily he yelled at them something fierce and pulling rank we got our stuff in 1 day.

we have never lived on base. we never want to live on base. think of base as like a little town except to go to this town u have to go through security. just because its military people does not mean that u can just keep ur house unlocked, etc.

iluvmypreemies
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:34 PM

My husband and I are high school sweethearts. When I met him I knew he was leaving. He left for basic after graduation and about a year later we got married. In 2002 at 19 I moved to NC with him and we lived there until 2004. 

All he ever wanted to do was be in the Army. He wanted to be Airborne Infantry and that is what he did. He loved it.

He was out from 2004-2008. He reenlisted because civilian life was just not for him.

We have 2 kids now so it was a little different this time. He was gone about 6 months for some refresher trainings.(We visited him often and he flew home to see us) When he got to Campbell after checking in they gave him 10 days TDY. We used that to pack and move. We did it ourselves and made some money off of it.

We have always lived off post. Just better for us. When DH gets off of work he likes to be OFF of work and way from it all. Even though we live 5 minutes from post he can come home and relax.

We are going through a deployment right now. It is hard but you manage.

mandafox
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Quoting mrs.phillips123:

He joined bc he was 19 and needed a little more direction and stability.... and money lol

I havent had to move away from friends and family yet, we are transferring next month tho and i can tell ya now... its gonna suck! i met him after he was already enlisted.

weve already started packing and arent due to report til the end of july

havent lived on base, we will be living in housing this time which is a first for me. im getting a dead bolt lol

A dead bolt? Hell, I would feel safer in base housing than out in town!

Mama2lilGarrett
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Quoting ryansmommy07:

So what made your husbands or s/o decide to join? He joined after HS. It was something he wanted to do for awhile.

How hard was it to move away from friends and family ? Not as hard as I thought. We skype to stay in touch.

How long did it take  for the whole moving process? We waited a year for our house (deployment, so I stayed back home) and it took us a week to move from Ohio to WA state.

Whats life like on a military base ? I live in Washington. It is like its only little city. We have our PX (clothing/home/toys store) and our commissary (grocery store), several gas stations, Burger King and other resturants, our own post office, ect. I enjoy it. Lots of kids around and we live in brand new housing so the house is amazing.

My husbands thinking about joining the marines and Im all for it except I dont know how I could deal with a deployment. It is tough. You just have to keep busy. I honestly hate them but I know it is part of the job.

Avasmom326
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:42 PM

My DH just joined Active Duty Army back in November. (he signed the contract last summer but that is when he actually left for Basic Training). He has been been gone since then, with the exception of Christmas leave (which was two weeks) and then we've gone on weekend trips to visit him three times.  He should be done with all of his training by early September. He had a very long training because of his MOS (job). He is learning how to repair the signal radio transmitter things they use so it's pretty complicated. I mean if you are strong enough in your relationship (and you can handle the kids okay without him) then it's really all right. We have made it this far just fine. I'd be worried about a deployment too, but right now things are cooling off overseas, and he's already been gone for six months so I think at this point I can handle anything.

His reason for wanting to join was that the economy down here (Alabama) has been affected really badly. DH had a good job as a supervisor at a car parts plant, but it was getting to the point where they kept laying more and more folks off and they are actually shutting down this Summer. A ton of other big plants have already closed their doors so it just seemed like the best thing for him at this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)