Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there something wrong with her or is this normal?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a 4 y/o who CAN speak properly, but often chooses not to. She says things like wegs and wadder instead of legs and ladder. Instead of movie or move, she'll say woovie or woove. She said some off the wall word for flower the other day too...idk wth she said, but it was not flower-I think Rower or something? Now, I do know that she is perfectly able to say these things correctly, and she does, after I give her "the look". But I don't know if there is something wrong with her, and if she can give herself a speech impediment if this continues. Advice, thoughts, anything?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM

maybe she's trying to be "the baby" and get mommy's attention. do you have any younger kids or know anyone who does and you act all goo goo ga ga in front of your 4 year old to the younger kids? just a thought.

lostandfound34
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM

my dd when through the same thing it was her wanting attention when I talked about having another baby

MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM

attention? or maybe a younger child around that she hears this baby talk from?

jasminesmom09
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM

thats waht i was thinking.. if she doesn't use the correct work don't respond untill she does

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

maybe she's trying to be "the baby" and get mommy's attention. do you have any younger kids or know anyone who does and you act all goo goo ga ga in front of your 4 year old to the younger kids? just a thought.

stephanie, 21, mom to jasmine (jan 12, 09), married to my best friend.
yahoo: jasminesmom11209

EvaSerenity
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

LOL, no, I don't really do the whole goo goo gaga baby talk stuff. She has a sister the same age as her, and 2 younger siblings, one is 2 and the other is one. Its just worrying me-I mean the 2 y/o can talk better than her big sister.

EvaSerenity
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Quoting jasminesmom09:

thats waht i was thinking.. if she doesn't use the correct work don't respond untill she does

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I don't respond to it, just look at her and she corrects herself. However, LOTS of other people let her get away with it-all I keep hearing is "oh, she's only 4". Okay...yeah, she's not a teenager or anything, but she is NOT imcompetent. She is soo smart actually. I guess thats one of the main reasons it bugs me so much-I know how smart she really is. She doesn't get extra attention when she does it, even from other people. They just overlook it so she continues.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM

shes just looking for attention.

EvaSerenity
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Quoting MovalMomsADMIN:

attention? or maybe a younger child around that she hears this baby talk from?

She's not really around any kids that talk like that. My one year old can only say typical baby words, mama, dada, etc., my 2 y/o doesn't talk like that. Her little brother can't even talk at all. Other than that, she's only around kids her age or older. I have yet to hear any of her friends talking like that either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)