Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

O.M.G! Some "mothers"!!! Edit in blue

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

Okay, my ex-SIL told me a month or so ago that her two-year-old son has been in a booster seat for a year now.  I didn't say much about it, but made sure my ex realizes that our son is NOT to be in a booster seat until four!!!

Today this was her MySpace status message:  "Got pulled over cause [her son] got out of his car seat!!!! But I just got a warning.....im very pissed off...."

I commented back that if he was using a booster seat like he was a month ago, she was lucky she only got a warning about it.  I wanted to add a lot more... but I didn't.

A two-year-old CAN'T get out of a five-point harness if it's adjusted and fastened properly.  Obviously something is WRONG here!  I'm guessing she still had him in the booster seat like she did a month ago, and for the previous YEAR before that!!!

Edit:  I'm sorry, I stand corrected.  I was unaware that some carseats exist that small children are strong enough to unfasten the crotch buckle.  My almost six-year-old can't even unfasten the ones that we own (and that girl is STRONG), and I didn't realize there were any models out there that aren't this hard to open. 

Married 6/2004

Becca - 10/2004, Damien - 5/2006, Aiden - 10/2008, Logan - 10/2010

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
omgamomie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Well either something bad will come of it  or she will end up with another ticket from it. Hope she learns her lesson.

college.mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM

My daughter couldnt get out of her 5 point harness but she could take the straps off, and had been doing it since 18 months old.  She is in a new carseat now, but can still get her arms out, we just have to fight with her the whole car ride to make sure she doesnt.

wife.and.mommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM

i have seen MANY two year olds get out of a 5pt harness that is adjusted and fastened properly.

my DS knows how to unclick his buckles and his chest clip.

so to ASSUME that ALL kids cant do something your kid cant do is just WRONG, so obviously the something wrong" is just you, for ASSuming something that many kids can do

Quoting Kharma25:
A two-year-old CAN'T get out of a five-point harness if it's adjusted and fastened properly.  Obviously something is WRONG here!  I'm guessing she still had him in the booster seat like she did a month ago, and for the previous YEAR before that!!!

nemiller
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:19 PM

well, i think it's ridiculous for her to put a 2 year old in a booster seat rather than 5 pt harness carseat.  but, my son can undo his carseat, and it's always fastened and adjusted properly.  he doesn't do it now, because he knows he gets in a lot of trouble, but he still has that skill unfortunately.

Kharma25
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Okay, I stand corrected.  I'll rephrase this then.  The carseats that I own, even my almost six year old is not strong enough to press the button at the crotch to unfasten it.  Every carseat I've ever owned has been like this, and I suppose I made the assumption that all carseats had those safety precautions.

But in all honesty, I'd be willing to bet her son was still using the booster seat that he was a month ago.  So it would have been as easy as wiggling out of a regular seat belt, or undoing it.

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

i have seen MANY two year olds get out of a 5pt harness that is adjusted and fastened properly.

so to ASSUME that ALL kids cant do something your kid cant do is just WRONG, so obviously the something wrong" is just you, for ASSuming something that many kids can do

Quoting Kharma25:

Married 6/2004

Becca - 10/2004, Damien - 5/2006, Aiden - 10/2008, Logan - 10/2010

cfdm3s_mommy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I've seen PLENTY of 2yr olds get their arms out of carseats, and I can tell you for sure they were buckled in properly. I agree that you shouldn't assume that other 2yr old's can't just because yours can't.

As far as a parent using a booster for a 2yr old, that is very very stupid, I feel sorry for that kid.

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

Quoting Kharma25:

mnmommy1
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I have also seen two year olds get out of 5 point harness, it is possible... even when installed right. Some children are more strong willed then others.

college.mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM

They dont have to unhook the crotch buckle to get out, like I said DD gets her arms out.  Once those are out she can use her upper body strength to pull herself out, even though its very tightly fit.  It is as tight as it will go without cutting off circulation to her legs.  Some kids are just better at escaping, and its not a good thing.

Quoting Kharma25:

Okay, I stand corrected.  I'll rephrase this then.  The carseats that I own, even my almost six year old is not strong enough to press the button at the crotch to unfasten it.  Every carseat I've ever owned has been like this, and I suppose I made the assumption that all carseats had those safety precautions.

But in all honesty, I'd be willing to bet her son was still using the booster seat that he was a month ago.  So it would have been as easy as wiggling out of a regular seat belt, or undoing it.

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

Quoting Kharma25:

Photobucket
pregnancy due date
.thickie.thick.
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Harmoni learned to slide her chest clip down...yay!...NOT! Every few min I gotta move it again!

Ur ex-sil will learn one day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)