Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you want your children to remember?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:05 PM
  • 17 Replies

What do you want your children to remember about their childhood? Do you go out of your way to make memories? I do... or I try to.

I want my daughter (8 years old) to remember:

going to the zoo

ice cream cone fights in the kitchen

sleeping with me in our bed when my husband is out of town on business

card games with me and daddy on the living room floor

baking brownies and cookies

me, getting her out of bed after bedtime to catch lightning bugs or watch the rain

playing in the rain

reading Harry Potter together until our eyes bleed

my husband sneaking her back fresh baked cookies and milk (after she is supposed to be in bed, and I'm not supposed to know lol)

our seasonal clothes shopping trips to the mall, just the two of us, and catching lunch at her favorite place after

stopping for coffee and pumpkin bread at Starbucks before school

firm, kind and loving parents that always did their best for her, whether their best was effective or not

.... these are things that I remember from my childhood and I want my children to have them. I hope to continue them with my son as well (he is only one right now).

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I just want her to remember that she has a family who love her. That is most important to me. That I am there for her always, nobody comes before her in my life. She has a home and love.

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

ForeverMeme
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I want them to remember that I loved them unconditionally and they always came first in my life.

luv2wahm
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM

going camping

going jet skiing and boating

cuddling and watching a movie while eating popcorn

going to the zoo

carving pumpkins for Halloween(and picking out their pumpkins)

Christmas morning

Sunday Morning breakfast

4 wheeling

taking walks around the neighborhood

i.heart.rachel
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Lots of things... we definitely go out of our way to make good memories. :) We focus on that more than most anything else actually!

christina0607
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:10 PM

We can't choose which memories will stick with them and which ones will fall by the weigh side. So we just live life to the fullest and have as much fun as we can...while also parenting...and I know it will all be good in the end.

momof3ncencali
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM

THE ONE THING I HAVE ALWAYS MADE THAT I HAVE DONE FOR MY CHILDREN WAS BAKE FOR EVERY SPECIAL OCCASION THEY HAVE AT SCHOOL. MY OLDEST IS 12 AND REALLY DOESN'T LIKE ME DOING IT ANYMORE, BUT I DO ANYWAYS. I'VE TOLD HIM THAT WHEN HE GETS OLDER HE WILL REMEMBER THAT ONE THING. THAT'S WHAT I'D LIKE FOR THEM TO REMEMBER, BESIDES THE FACT THAT THEY ARE LOVED AND THOUGHT OF EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY!

omgamomie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I do too. I cherish those memories.

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Lots of things... we definitely go out of our way to make good memories. :) We focus on that more than most anything else actually!

amayabrianna
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM

The best times in my child hood were when my mom would take me to pageants, we would spend the whole day together doing whatever I wanted and all the attention was on me for a little while. While my oldest DD does do pageants and I want her to have the same memories I want both of my DDs to remember the times I took to make then and only them individually a special part of my life. I alternate and take one for the day and we do whatever they want. My oldest is in her pageant mode now so she picks pageants, my youngest would rather go play in the dirt and play in the rain. I always let them decide and they love it and that is something I hope sticks with them as they grow, not necessarily the experiences themselves but how they felt during them.

1gzs1-106-11gzs1-107-1

mamaoftwins9197
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:18 PM

DF and I have had this conversation before, because we are broke.  We can't always give the kids all the material things that some others have, but we do things with them.  I want them to look back and remember the time we spent together...whether it's laying on the living room floor coloring or playing at the playground or cooking out with my family.  When I look back at my childhood, it's stuff like that that I remember.

CafeMom Tickers
reava
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I want my dd to remember that we love her no matter.  I want my sd to remember that we love her so much even though we don't get to see her as much as we'd like.

I want them to remember baking cookies, going to the park, dancing around the living room, swimming, and just hanging out and having fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)