Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you equate modesty with Muslims?*EDIT*

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM
  • 133 Replies

Another post made me wonder this.  A Christian woman was ridiculed for following God's instructions to her to dress modestly (no pants or revealing clothing).  She was told that she sounded ridiculous like she was trying to say that Allah told her how to be a Christian or something like that.  This just blew my mind.  I am Pentecostal, which is a very old, conservative form of Christianity.  I don't wear pants, skirts above the knee, sleeveless shirts, makeup, or jewelry. I don't cut my hair, smoke, drink, or swear.  That is how all of the women in my religion are.  I guess I always kind of thought when people saw a woman like me, they knew why I looked this way.  Now I'm wondering if that is the case.  I don't wear a head covering, which to me is what would set me apart (in appearance) from a Muslim woman. I guess I'm just wondering what people think when they see someone like me in public. 

BTW I have insomnia and I'm really bored!  LOL

Wow, I am really shocked at how much nastiness has been directed towards me and women like me.  I wonder what makes these women feel it is necessary to be so ugly to us.  Why would anyone use quotation marks around the words religion and God when using them in connection with my church? Why would anyone assume that I dress the way I do and act the way I do because someone is making me? And why, WHY would anyone assume that I believe myself to be superior in any way to a woman who is not like me? I just don't get it.  I was simply wondering if my outward appearance distinguishes me as an Apostolic or not.  My goodness.....

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sati769leigh
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:46 PM

funny, you post this but your avatar shows you with your arms COMPLETELY BARE. that is NOT modest. or SLEEVELES.

ErikaRobin
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Quoting sati769leigh:

funny, you post this but your avatar shows you with your arms COMPLETELY BARE. that is NOT modest. or SLEEVELES.

That's exactly what I was thinking!  Get outta my head, woman!

nemiller
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

i probably wouldn't think much of it.  i don't really think much when i see a muslim woman, either, except sometimes i notice how pretty their head coverings can be.  i definitely don't assume anything about the personality of a woman who dresses exceptionally modest.

mamamissy316
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Quoting sati769leigh:

Umm, those are called short sleeves, dear.  Sorry if one was a little hiked up.  I was, after all, holding a baby in that picture.

*rolls eyes*

mistie900

Her shirt looks like short sleeves to me not sleeveless there is a difference.

OP No when I here modest I don't always think muslim

Quoting sati769leigh:

cherrygirl87

I personally think thats just how one chooses to dress themselves. It's not any of my business as to why you're wearing what you do. I wont pretend I dont notice someone's clothing I just don't make assumtions as to why. You're a person just like me and anyone else.

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM

LOLOL cant help it, i notice the little inconsistancies in bullshit like the OPs

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Quoting sati769leigh:

That's exactly what I was thinking!  Get outta my head, woman!

My happiness is me, not you. Not only because you may be temporary,

but because you want me to be What I am not. 

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM

YEAH spin it how you wish

your avatar does NOT represent MODESTY. PERIOD.

Quoting mamamissy316:

Quoting sati769leigh:

Umm, those are called short sleeves, dear.  Sorry if one was a little hiked up.  I was, after all, holding a baby in that picture.

*rolls eyes*

My happiness is me, not you. Not only because you may be temporary,

but because you want me to be What I am not. 

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I don't assume anything about women I see in regards to how they are dressed.  if I saw you I wouldn't think anything.  Seriously the only thought that comes to mind sometimes is " Doesn't she own a mirror??"

Jadegirl1819
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I assume that women that look as you describe are religious. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)