Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suing my ex for "Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress"

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM
  • 23 Replies

So, I'm seriously considering suing my ex for the debt I accrued from going to counseling because of his infidelity (mulitple times, with women and MEN).  My attorney says I have a case since the only reason I attended counseling was because of his actions, and it has clearly affected my mental health.  My insurance ended up not covering it, so the bill is almost $1000.  Would you sue?  I'm a single Mom, I don't collect child support, and I'm in Nursing school.  I really can't afford this bill...

Due to my circumstances (and an awesome hook-up from a friend), my attorney is doing this for me Pro-Bono.  The child support thing is a loooooong story that I'd really rather not get into.

EDIT

I'm not one to sue, either.  But I have other bills I've paid as well that I shouldn't have had to.  Like paying for the doctor's visit and prescription medicine for the STD he brought home.  He also got one of the women pregnant.  (That, and the STD, is how I found out that he cheated)  I just really think he should be responsible for at least 50% since he did go to most of these counseling sessions with me. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM

your attorney wants your money

FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Why do you not collect child support?

EvaSerenity
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I'm not one for suing, but if I was cheated on, I'd be all for taking someone's ass to the cleaners. :)

LadyBug.Love

hon, by the time you pay tha attorney fee's you will of wished you just paid the bill and moved on.

samthecat001

i would not sue.  its extreme IMO

FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM

If the judge does not place an order in your favor, the $1,000.00 plus attorney's fees......worth it?  Not really.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Over $1000 dollars probably not because with school and a baby I would bet the time it would take up plus the hassle and more emtional distress wouldn't be worth it to me.  May I ask why insurance won't cover it?  and why no childsupport?

solmom4
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Nope I don't think so are half of the divorce women would be suing their ex

LuvmyAiden
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM

You won't like this answer but I think suing over emotional issues is BS. You divorced because he cheated. I don't believe that he did it to MAKE you crazy. Get over it. Make paments and move on.

nemiller
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM

can you afford the legal costs?  it's up to you and i really don't know what i'd do, since i've never been in your shoes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)