Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Giving a toddler an enema

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

Have you ever had to give your child an enema? My 3 year old's pediatrician told me I might need to give her one. She is extremely backed up and has been having pains for a couple weeks now every day she says she doesn't feel good. An xray determined her left colon is extremely full. He recommended miralax and she is still only going about every other day and is still in pain and her tummy is still full. I am not thrilled to say the least about giving an enema to my DD so I was wondering if you all had any insight or stories of your experiences (or if you have ever had one too). Thanks

"It won’t be like this for long.
One day soon that little girl is gonna be
All grown up and gone
Yeah, this phase is gonna fly by
So, he's tryin’ to hold on...."

by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Just_Bethy
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:24 AM

No..I haven't and I don't think I would...I assume you have tried the kids laxatives and coffee and prune juice etc...so I would take her back and demand something be done...by the Doctor ..Now...or take her to ER before her colon ruptures and let them do the enema...

mahal628
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I would try straight up prune juice warm before I gave my baby an enema I had one when I was a kid and it hurt and was very scary to me. granted they left the room after they gave it to me laying on a table........ I hope something else works for your baby goodluck

kiralyn
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I've had to give my daughter quite a few. She has had problems with constipation since her transplant, it jacked up her digestive system.

My best advice..get someone to help you. Have one person hold her legs open and up, and one person give her the enema...she will most likely scream and cry and fight, but this is the quickest way I have found to get it done. Then just hold her butt cheeks together for a bit and set her on the potty after a little while.

If you don't have anyone to help you, I will pin her legs back with one arm and kind of lay over her legs, and then use the other hand to give the enema.

Good luck!

AmeyX2KidZ
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I would seek a referral to a GI Dr FIRST.

Brandy.B
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:28 AM

We have tried prune juice and miralax. Coffee? I trust her pediatrician that her colon won't rupture. He saw the x-ray and knows it isn't life threatening at this point anyway.

Quoting Just_Bethy:

No..I haven't and I don't think I would...I assume you have tried the kids laxatives and coffee and prune juice etc...so I would take her back and demand something be done...by the Doctor ..Now...or take her to ER before her colon ruptures and let them do the enema...

"It won’t be like this for long.
One day soon that little girl is gonna be
All grown up and gone
Yeah, this phase is gonna fly by
So, he's tryin’ to hold on...."

KimGsMommi
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I have been goin through this actually. My daughter-who is also 3- had been complaining of stomach pains, and even saying it hurt to pee. She was starting to not be able to hold her pee in, and would just poo a little in her pants each time. Took her to the pedi, and she was completely blocked. Our pedi told me to do miralax every 3 hours, an enema a day for 3 days, more fiber, and pears, plums, peaches, prunes........

The enemas made her go to the bathroom, but it was horrible givin it to her....For the next week, she was goin all the time and it was really wet. Sorry, TMI. Now that we aren't givin her the enemas and she's back to gettin the Miralax once a day, we're back to the same problems. The poop in the pants, her not bein able to hold it. The pedi told me I just needed to find the right amount of miralax, but I'm gettin tired of cleanin these poop panties. I know she can't help it though. I don't really know what else to do, we go back for a follow-up, in 2 weeks. Good Luck!!

Brandy.B
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:32 AM

BUMP!

Brandy.B
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM

BUMP!

JCTVCBN
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM

No I haven't.

Have you looked into altenative treatments?

Over a year ago my oldest was constipated, and he started taking

DIGEST-A-MEAL

Replenishes vital enzymes necessary for proper digestion and nutrient utilization of the foods you eat.

TOTAL FLORA SUPPORT

Contains billions of stabilized flora to maintain digestive health and support immune function.

CORRECTIVE Formula "A"

an herbal supplement 

I had also changed his diet for a while.

Here is something else you could look into.

http://ahealthcenter.net/colon-hydrotherapy.html

Colon Hydrotherapy

Colon hydrotherapy is the safe, gentle infusion of warm, filtered water into the rectum using no chemicals or drugs. The is a restorative, painless procedure which is both relaxing and effective. The individual lies comfortably on a custom treatment table and the therapist gently inserts a small speculum into the rectum. The therapist then monitors the temperature and pressure of the water infused into and out of the colon (large intestine) without any assistance on the part of the individual. The colon hydrotherapy method cleanses the entire colon without stressing the individual. This method provides a closed system in which waste material is eliminated through the instrument and out of the drain line, avoiding any offensive odor and maintaining the dignity of the individual.

Colon hydrotherapy is an extended and more complete form of an enema. The enema's cleansing activity is limited to the area of the rectum and to shorter periods of time due to the body's natural inclination to expel any material from the rectum. The colon hydrotherapy method extends beyond the rectum to cleanse the entire large intestine and offer greater cleansing and therapeutic benefits. Enemas or laxatives may precipitate dehydration in the individual while colon hydrotherapy improves the hydration of the individual.

Have you thought of taking your DD to an ND.

http://naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=60

IMHO, I think it would be better to try to find the cause of your DD's constipation instead of just trying to treat the symptoms.

An ND looks for the cause and treats the whole body not just the symptoms.

I hope your DD feels better soon.

junebug624
by on Jun. 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Is a enema like a suppository?  I gave my son one of those when he didnt poop for two weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN