Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

True Love Waits

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter 12 (will be 13 in Dec.) has always told me that she wants to wait until she is married and that she wants her first kiss to be on her wedding day.

I started doing some reading online and came across a purity ceremony. We do not attend a church, so I don't know of any churches in our area that does a "Purity Ball"  She has some ideas of what she wants to have. But I was wondering if anyone has been to one, if you could tell me what it was like, what it entails?
She wants to invite family and friends. Have a ceremony like a wedding, where she writes her own vow promising to stay pure, and we promise to guide and support her. She want a semi formal dress and have her hair and nails done. She has picked a park that has a bridge over a pond. After she wants to have a party. We have looked a thrift stores and have found several dresses that she likes, so it isn't going to be expensive. And we have found a ring that she loves.
Does this sound like we are on the right track?
I want to make it a special day for her, without breaking the bank.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JJJMommyKris
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I have never heard of anything like that, it kinda sounds like a neat idea. GL and bump!

mommymic
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM

ive never heard of a ceremony like that. but thats awesome that your daughter wants to stay pure!! not many can say that they waited until their wedding night, and to me its awesome to hear such a young girl wanting to save herself.

LiznShelk
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I've seen a documentary about the purity balls but I've never known anyone who has participated. I think it's really neat that she has looked so deeply into it though. Hopefully some moms will have advice about it.

ETA: It was called Purity Balls and aired on TLC so you might actually be able to find it online.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Good for her!!! And good for you guys for supporting that! She sounds like  great kid. I think it sounds like an awsome idea, and plan on having something similar for our children when they are older.

LadybugsMonkeys
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM

We have talked a lot about sex. When she was 11 she told me she was never getting married, that she was adopt kids and raise them herself because she seen how men can be. Now she said if she ever finds a man worthy of her, she wants it to be her one and only love.

LadybugsMonkeys
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:20 AM

thanks I'll have to look and see if I can find it.

Quoting LiznShelk:

I've seen a documentary about the purity balls but I've never known anyone who has participated. I think it's really neat that she has looked so deeply into it though. Hopefully some moms will have advice about it.

ETA: It was called Purity Balls and aired on TLC so you might actually be able to find it online.

scperdomo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I don't know a whole lot about purity balls, but I have heard about them. I wore my own purity ring until DH and I got married (though, he wasn't my only... I made the decision to practice chastity after a really bad period in my life) and I think it's awesome that your daughter is mature enough to know what she wants and to make that pledge to herself, before God and her family.

It can be a tough road, but I wish her the very best. With a mom like you supporting her, I'm sure it will be a lot easier!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)