Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? about SallieMae

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM
  • 10 Replies

Ok I want to go back to school....We make to much for grants but not enough to pay for it out of pocket upfront. I know Sallie Mae does student loans but do any of you know if its based of your income or is it based of your credit score? I cant start till spring 2011 because Im due to have our second child end of Nov beginning of Dec. but Id like to get some info. If any of you can help with that question that would be great. Oh and I do plan on applying for scholarships but everything the pertains to me are small amounts and it isn't a  guaranteed thing  you'll get them so I need more options then that too.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amee8605
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:54 AM
Based off income from what I remember. I hate Sallie Mae. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeggerSmith
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Thanks, Yea every one seems to hate them but everyone seems to have loans through them. I dont know if its maybe because they really are the only option beside private that can help you with school loans. lol

Quoting amee8605:

Based off income from what I remember. I hate Sallie Mae. Lol.

sherri8806
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:57 AM

Im not sure about income but deff not credit we had horrid credit when I got a student loan from them. Good luck.

pandorasbox69
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Have your school help you apply for financial aid. I didn't think I would qualify and I got loans and grants. To my knowledge, only personal loans go off credit. So if you ask a bank directly, it is off credit. I also believe all school loans are being funded by the government now to avoid out of control interest rates. But don't quote me on that. Good luck!!! and Congrats on going back to school!!!

amee8605
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:59 AM
It was my absolute only option. And they love giving me hell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeggerSmith
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Thanks! Yea thats our problem we have bad credit ( trying to take care of it but its a ton of medical bill crap long story) Its catch 22....cant get a good paying job or a career you want with out going to school but you cant go to school with out money or a good paying job. Its ridiculous how much tuition is now!

Quoting sherri8806:

Im not sure about income but deff not credit we had horrid credit when I got a student loan from them. Good luck.

MeggerSmith
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Ok thanks ladies. Yea Im going to talk to an advisor and get everything set up in the fall for spring semester.

Allynmj
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:16 AM
Good luck!! Sallie Mae sucks ass b sure once u get approved u save ALL your paperwork n b sure they explain if you have to pay NOW or after school, that's how they got me!!
sherri8806
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:18 AM

Yep that is exactly where we were. I had a lot of medical bills. Also I actually liked them as a lending company they deff give you time to pay and let you freeze it for awhile if you can't pay. Good luck!

Quoting MeggerSmith:

Thanks! Yea thats our problem we have bad credit ( trying to take care of it but its a ton of medical bill crap long story) Its catch 22....cant get a good paying job or a career you want with out going to school but you cant go to school with out money or a good paying job. Its ridiculous how much tuition is now!

Quoting sherri8806:

Photobucket

Pregnancy%20ticker
xtphoenix
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I am not sure about the details. My hubby got his school loans through them and for some reason, what we thought were two loans we had through them, ending up turning into five separate loans and they all had to be paid each month separately instead of all rolled into one payment like we had originally thought. We even asked if they would roll up the loans for us to let us pay them in a lump some and they wouldn't do it. I would not recommend them at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)