Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I deal with neighbor kid?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

My next door neighbors are elderly. Their divorced son lives with them. He has a girlfriend with a son which whom he babysits (sort of)  The kid is 9 years old and taller than me (I'm 5'1") and weighs about 150 pounds. If he sees me in the backyard with my kids he'll just come right over without asking. Then he'll just start doing things in my yard like taking apart play sets, moving the playsets, moving cinderblocks, acting like a know-it-all, bragging, and torturing my young kids. 

I just set up an 8ft round snap set pool for the kids and just want to relax outside with my family. He comes running over and I must have had to tell him 20 times to be careful. If you fall on the side walls of the pool all the water will come gushing out and it can rip. He wouldn't listen, was getting soaked and then chasing my 4 and 2 year old around the yard trying to throw water at them when they had just dried off because they were cold and were trying to play on the swing set. 

I can't stand when kids invite themselves into people's yards without asking. I just want to be outside with my kids and not have to deal with him. 

The boyfriend did say "If he's bothering you just throw him back over the fence" I just feel bad saying anything. I don't want to have problems with my neighbors (who have always been nice) because of the girlfriend's kid. 

My yard isn't completely fenced in. It would probably cost a few grand to repair it and finish it with gates.

What should I say to the kid next time he barges into our yard? What should I say to the neighbors? I'm afraid to go outside today, lol. 

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sharisse
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM

i would tell the neighbors that you want to enjoy time with just your family and that the child keeps coming over uninvited & interupting it.

nurbabe82
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:02 AM

You could do one of two things. The next time he comes over tell him today isn't a good day and send him back home or give your neighbors your number and have them call when he wants to come over to see if you're ok with that.

MommaNoonoo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Tell the kid to go home, that this is time for your family.  Then tell the boyfriend/girlfriend next time you see them.

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I feel so bad saying something to them. I don't want them to think anything bad about me. I did tell him not to go into my yard when no one is back there. I should have said to ask permission first, ugh.

Quoting sharisse:

i would tell the neighbors that you want to enjoy time with just your family and that the child keeps coming over uninvited & interupting it.

judybant
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:08 AM

GO HOME! That's what you say to him. Or if you want to be nicer, then say, "MY kids are afraid of you. They do not like to be splashed, they do not like the rough way you play. If you can't calm yourself down, you can't come over here any more." And every time that he does something you don't want him to do, you TELL HIM! I don't care HOW big he is, he's NINE. TELL HIM TO GO HOME if you don't want him there. The neighbors are going to understand, if they live with the kid, they KNOW he's a puke! Seriously! You're letting a NINE YEAR OLD walk all over you!

PeytonNBella
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Just tell him, he has to ask and some days you'd love to have him over if he plays by your rules. It sounds like he is bored out of his mind. That doesn't mean you have to suffer, when my sons neighbor buddy comes over it's our rules or back home he goes. Your neighbor should understand and if they don't, who cares if they get mad. You are the one responsible for that child while he is in your yard. If they don't want you correcting him they can tell him he needs to stay home.

ForeverInLove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM
Don't be worried about what they think. If my kid was torturing other children, I would want him to stop and if that meant a neigh bor said he couldn't play with them, than so be it.
It is your yard, your children, and your choice. Tell him when he comes over that he needs to ask permission, and that if he enters your yard from now without permission, he will be sent home no matter what.
I wouldn't let children come play in my yard when they weren't invited or didn't ask permission.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
18hearts
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I would tell him to go home. Tell him that if he wants to come over he has to ask first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)