Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using adult shampoo or body wash on babies

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM
  • 18 Replies

My son is 14 months. Today after filling the tub I realized he did not have any more shampoo/body wash, so I just used my own on him.

I am just wondering if that is OK to keep doing? Or is he still too young yet to do that consistently?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I would still stick to kiddy stuff.  Kids skin is super sensitive, adult products have alot more chemicals in it.  I'm currently researching more natural products for my dd who suffers from excema.

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I used it -- they are fine and didn't die.

nurbabe82
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I have done that when ds was younger and he was fine.

18hearts

I use Dove body wash on both of my kids because they have really senestive skin and it was the only thing that didn't make my daughter break out.

For my son we have a Thomas the train shampoo right now. He saw it in the store & begged and since it was the same price as what we usually get I agreed to it.

For my daugther the only shampoo that doesn't cause her to head to break out (yup sensetive little girl) is the Johnsons Baby Shampoo.

I would read whats in the adult and baby shampoos and compare them. Most baby shampoos are "gentle" or "tear free" I believe and thats the only difference. Although I've never really looked. My kids ped told me when my son was 4 months old that the Dove body wash was better then the infant body wash and to this day thats been true for my kids. My sons skin would get soo dry from the infant body wash.

mistie900

I don't think it will hurt anything, just be careful not to get it in his eyes because most adult stuff is not tear free.

pinkfairy0206
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM

i use adult on my 3 girls too....we only use like dove and gentle soaps. i don't like the way the baby ones leave there hair smelling!

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM
I'd say it's a little harsh for him, not to mention that baby stuff is usually tear free. Just in case he rubs his eyes, know what I mean?
I buy an extra travel size baby wash just in case I find myself without. It's handy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Yeah, the only thing I had thought about, was that the adult stuff is not tear free. I use Dove shampoo and St. Ive's body wash. I know Dove is really sensitive, probably not St. Ive's though. I don't think I am going to make a habit of it, but he will need 1 more bath before I am able to get more baby wash for him.

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM
My son had eczema, turned out he was allergic to rice. It cleared right up when I stopped the rice.

Quoting Kellileanne:

I would still stick to kiddy stuff.  Kids skin is super sensitive, adult products have alot more chemicals in it.  I'm currently researching more natural products for my dd who suffers from excema.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abbysmommy429
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I use products from The Body Shop and used it on DD once and she was fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)