• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh thank god! I think I finally got the motivation I need!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am on a mission! I WILL get a GED and I WILL go to school.

Wanna know why? Because I absolutely HATE my job but it pays good (decent for a HS drop out) if I quit I would have to work more hours to get the same paycheck and .... f- that. I want a good paycheck w/o having to work 60 hours a week.

So guess what I'm going to do - I'm going to go to my son's dad's mom's house and clean. She pays me $45 to clean the bathroom mop the floors and vacuum. If I do that on my days off work I'll have enough money after 2 weeks to take the GED test. Then I will go to the community college and take a tour. I will meet with someone to talk about classes and financial aid. I will apply for EVERY grant possible.

I WILL get a degree! I will not procrastinate. I am giving myself a 3 month deadline. I need to get the GED and start school in the next 3 months or else....... I'll kick my ass.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM

That's awesome!

TNmom2three
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

That's great! Does your work not have a program for you to get your degree for free? The carpet mill I used to work at would pay you for so many hours of 'studying' at the GED center and then pay for your test. 

CutieBoysMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I work at a gas station.... so.... no.

They do have a tuition reimbursment program where you can get $750 for each semester but I think I'd rather pay back student loans. I absolutely hate the job. It's just not my "thing". As soon as I enroll in school I will no longer be working there. I'll figure it out as I go, since my plans never go right (why waste time planning when I'll have to make it up as I go anyways?)

Quoting TNmom2three:

That's great! Does your work not have a program for you to get your degree for free? The carpet mill I used to work at would pay you for so many hours of 'studying' at the GED center and then pay for your test. 

MPWifeJessicia
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Good luck Momma!

CutieBoysMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM

WOW! I told my son's dad's mom about my plan and she said don't work about cleaning her house, she will just pay for the GED because .... here's what she said " I will just pay for it, you don't need to do anything for me" I asked her why " because you are the mother of my grandson nad even though you aren't with my son anymore I love you and want you to have a better life nad it will also help to give Owen a better life"

How fuckin awesome is that.

bellasmom_01
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM
That's great momma!! Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caseyskitten
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Congratulation! I think it's great that you have decided this!

I got my GED about year and half ago and I'm soo thankful I did it... I am going to college right now online and will be going on campus this August when our son starts Kindergarten.

Keep making yourself do this! It will pay off in the end!

good luckclappingcongratulationsway to gowriting  graduate You Can Do It!!!!!!!!!

MioriLane
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Quoting CutieBoysMommy:

WOW! I told my son's dad's mom about my plan and she said don't work about cleaning her house, she will just pay for the GED because .... here's what she said " I will just pay for it, you don't need to do anything for me" I asked her why " because you are the mother of my grandson nad even though you aren't with my son anymore I love you and want you to have a better life nad it will also help to give Owen a better life"

How fuckin awesome is that.

That's incredibly cool... and shows the power that determination has!

I'm so proud for you that you're taking control of your life.  I was a high school drop out, too.  We're not as useless as people make us out to be!  I took the GED and started college full time when I was 25.  I graduated with a 3.71 gpa (that's called Magna cum laude... yes I'm freaking proud of the latin words!)  majoring in biology and minoring in chemistry! 

Don't let anything limit your dreams.  You can go to a four year university on grants and loans just as easily as a community college.  Which one you choose should depend on what you think you want to study.  If you aren't sure what you want to major in (I wasn't) I'd recommend trying out a bigger school because of the wider range of courses. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)